• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3d Printing interior/exterior bits?

sten_mitchell

43 minutes ago, 02tom said:

The shift surround is pretty rare since many Frigiking were installed without any shift surround on the early cars

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cursory glance is that it wouldn't be that difficult.  It doesn't need to be hollow underneath so 10 or 20% fill would make it really pretty easy...  Rectangular-ish, hold in the middle, fillet curve around the top.

Or Martin Cote will sell you his wood one for $100.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

while i love using my hammer in as many situations as possible ... it is NOT always the best (or right) tool for the job.

the shift surround is a great example.

sure ... it is a 'relatively' simple shape ... and looks to be design-able ... 

but the texture and pattern and general form are not great for 3D printing

the layering will be obvious once printed ... and it will be generally weaker in that large over hang area ...

maybe you could leather wrap it once printed ... to cover up the layers ... but at that point ... why not buy the set from Koogle?  they are vacuum formed with the correct surface texture ... and look 'correct' ... and way less expensive once the whole process is examined.

again ... the surround is printable (the hammer can be used) ... but it will definitely look 'printed'

that smaller plastic (nylon) bracket

bumper hole covers

radio knobs

decorative gaskets with undercuts  ...

... these are the perfect parts for 3d printing of today.

• Like 2

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Geoff Raynak said:

i have been able to model/3d-print three different (NLA?) swan neck mirror gaskets in flex ...

i've sold a few here ... mostly out of good will (and the 2$ of profit went to my daughter ... since it is technically her 3d printer) ...

i'm for sure game to try and model/print more parts ...

cheers

geoff

Geoff, do you have any more of those swan neck mirror gaskets lying around?

1968 BMW 1600

1974 BMW 2002

23 hours ago, BrunoMozi said:

Hi, new member here. Ive been searching and cant find anyone who has 3d printed the front side grills for a early 2002. Why is that? 

...because printing anodized aluminum isn't as easy as it looks?

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

@BrunoMozi

wellllll ..... @TobyB currently has 18,955 MORE posts than you ... so he has a bit of cred around here

and all the grills are aluminum ... 

is there just one section that you want plastic?

picture are free and easy ... and can explain a ton...

maybe that will help your question ... and chill the scene here a bit

thx!

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

13 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

@BrunoMozi

wellllll ..... @TobyB currently has 18,955 MORE posts than you ... so he has a bit of cred around here

X2 @BrunoMozi.  Toby was being playfully sacrastic, which is something he does....really well.  Another thing he does really well is give consistently solid advice about the BMW 2002.  Chill. 

34 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

@BrunoMozi

and all the grills are aluminum ... 

is there just one section that you want plastic?

picture are free and easy ... and can explain a ton...

maybe that will help your question ... and chill the scene here a bit

thx!

Yea i seen him posts on almost every topic. Thanks for cooling me down tho. Anyway basicaly i have a early model with a missing grill. But i dont like the look of the chrome grills or the price lol, like if i where to buy the oem grills i would paint them black anyway. So to me a plastic early model grill makes more sense coz itl probably not bend or dent and itl be black.

2 hours ago, BrunoMozi said:

Was speaking about plastic duude. Who frikin talks about printing in alluminium

As they say around here, well, have a nice day, then.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 5/31/2020 at 10:36 AM, BrunoMozi said:

Hi, new member here. Ive been searching and cant find anyone who has 3d printed the front side grills for a early 2002. Why is that? 

To answer the question, probably because you can still find them used.  And I don't think anyone wants to go through the hassle of making one in the software so that it can be printed when you can just find one on here to buy.  Printing it is usually the easy part, drawing it up is almost always time consuming.

And to be clear, if I had a metal printer...

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.