Jump to content

28 posts / 1915 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! I'm going to be getting my rims mounted on some rubber soon and was wondering what you all run. I've got a set of the Rota os mesh in 15x7 and I would love to run Toyo Proxxes R888R's but that's not very practical for our fall and winter weather... Thank you for the suggestions!

 

-Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running Yokohama "S" Drives (195-50-15).  Love the tire.  My car is lowered and I tend to rub when I hit a compression, but other than that, the tires have been great.  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't drive my 02 much when its wet or "wintery" out there.  

 

Hafez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hdaraee said:

I'm running Yokohama "S" Drives (195-50-15).  Love the tire.  My car is lowered and I tend to rub when I hit a compression, but other than that, the tires have been great.  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't drive my 02 much when its wet or "wintery" out there.  

 

Hafez

 

4 hours ago, Chamonix72 said:

I second the S-Drives. Very good down to about 40 degrees; then they start getting a little sketchy.

Thank you for the input guys! 

Those are the ones I was leaning towards and yeah I'll try not to drive it in the snow or below freezing much or at all.. I'm to assume that you didn't roll your fenders if they rub at 195s right? 

 

-Ted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blue car in my profile pic did not have rolled fenders.  My current car has rolled fenders.  Ran 195-50-15 S Drives on both.  No issues when turning with either.  I bottomed out my front left one time in each car (I know, weird that its the same tire same side on two totally different cars).  Both times I hit a pretty deep compression.  Other that that one time in each car, no issues what so ever with the 195s.  And, for what little its worth, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I ran P-77s on my 74tii (205-50-15).  Those used to rub a little when turning but I never bottomed out with them.  I think you can run 205s, if you really want.  Having had both, I personally think the 195s are the better size.  Good luck,

 

Hafez

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What offset are your wheels? That will help determine the max tire width you can fit under the fenders.

 

It would be in your favor to roll the fenders (front and rear, but especially the front). Hopefully you haven't painted the car yet, because this is best done before paint. With rolled fenders you can easily fit a 205/50/15, but with untouched fenders, 195/50/15 will be about as wide as you can (safely) go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bluebmw said:

What offset are your wheels? That will help determine the max tire width you can fit under the fenders.

 

It would be in your favor to roll the fenders (front and rear, but especially the front). Hopefully you haven't painted the car yet, because this is best done before paint. With rolled fenders you can easily fit a 205/50/15, but with untouched fenders, 195/50/15 will be about as wide as you can (safely) go.

I've got a set of the et25 wheels.

I haven't painted the car yet, still block sanding haha never ending it seems... but I was planning on rolling and going with the 205's..

If all goes to plan I should have the car in a booth end of this month or early October..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow up question, what suspension are you running and what's the car's main purpose? Spirited weekend driver? Daily driver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluebmw said:

Follow up question, what suspension are you running and what's the car's main purpose? Spirited weekend driver? Daily driver?

 

I've got the stage 2 setup from Ireland E and I can only afford one car so it'll be a daily as long as realistically possible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TedC said:

I've got the stage 2 setup from Ireland E and I can only afford one car so it'll be a daily as long as realistically possible 

 

Nice, with Bilstein Sports? I would suggest 205/50 Yokohama S.Drives in that case. Plenty of stick for a daily-driven 2002, with enough grooves to not kill you in the rain, although they're not the best "all season" tires.

 

IMO Toyo R888R's are overkill for a street-oriented 2002, and too much grip unless you are packing some serious heat under the hood. Not to mention the increased noise of a track tire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bluebmw said:

 

Nice, with Bilstein Sports? I would suggest 205/50 Yokohama S.Drives in that case. Plenty of stick for a daily-driven 2002, with enough grooves to not kill you in the rain, although they're not the best "all season" tires.

 

IMO Toyo R888R's are overkill for a street-oriented 2002, and too much grip unless you are packing some serious heat under the hood. Not to mention the increased noise of a track tire!

 

Yup with the billy sports.. I might get the toyos in the summer so the tread looks BA for cars and coffee haha

 

If you're in the Kirkland area sometime hmu and swing by to see this bastard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, rookie question: I'm looking at upgrading my wheels to 15 diameter, what specification should I be looking for with the rims? Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 15s are 4-bolt (yeah, I know:  "duh"), 100 mm offset.  I believe there are 7 or 7 1/4 wide.  I run 195-50-15 Yokohama S-drives.  Lots of great combos out there.  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, diondion said:

Ok, rookie question: I'm looking at upgrading my wheels to 15 diameter, what specification should I be looking for with the rims? Thanks

 

The best overall fitment for 15s is 15x7 et25 with either 195 or 205 tires 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.