• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for fitting MC grommets?

Dennosaurus

Just received a new set a brake master cylinder grommets for the lines that run from the mc to the reservoir. I managed to get one seated but the second is being a pain, I can get the grommet in the mc easily, and the connecting elbow in the grommet easily, but when the grommet is in the mc it just won't seat all the way down. Any tips on getting the elbow fully inserted?

a86a5dbbf2f080193708bc525734a3f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the first thing I see is the feed hoses need to be replaced their pretty beat up as for the grommet use some syilglide(SP?) on it it's a lube for hydralic applications and available at Napa and give it a little twist while pressing down and it should seat.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 1 year later...

HI Guys,

Thanks for the tips.  I have GE silicone grease that I use for plumbing and other rubber to metal lubrication needs, do you think that is ok to use?  

Whats the thinking on MC life expectancy on a well maintained car? I am doing this because the grommets are original and have shrunk and deformed and are leaking fluid.  This is the original MC.  Should I just replace the MC at this point?

Interested in opinions.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Silver73tii said:

I have GE silicone grease that I use for plumbing and other rubber to metal lubrication needs, do you think that is ok to use?  

I wouldn’t use anything other than brake fluid or purpose designed rubber brake grease for assembly lube. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 3 months later...

if you need to lubricate anything in brake assembly use either castor oil or brake grease (made from castor oil)

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise