Spampi51

Ever seen these speakers?

4 posts / 910 viewsLast Reply

These are speakers mounted under the dash with ( what looks like) factory mounting pieces. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information about them. Thanks

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

(edited)

The far left and far right underdash panels have always been popular locations for front speakers, especially for cars with A/C consoles, which eliminates the console as a location. The right side is especially tight and a 4" round, or, at best, a 4"x 6" oval, speaker is the maximum size that will fit in both locations.  I currently have a pair of 4" round Becker speakers in those two locations on my '76, but I originally I drilled only the left side and installed a CB speaker.  "Breaker, breaker, 1-9!"

I'm not particularly familiar with your CTS speakers  -- they were still U.S.-manufactured in the '60's and '70's, but I don't know how to date them -- and, of course, all '02 radios, speakers, and antennas were installed post-factory -- most often by dealerships, but also by owners, independent garages, and stereo shops -- so there was no real standardization.  Those are plain old underdash panels that have been cut or drilled.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Ah! The plot thickens! I was sure the panels were stock ( look pretty convincing!) Speaking of CB's, I have a Clip on the side of my console for a CB handset. I may just leave it there for nostalgia sake. Thanks Steve.

Steve ( I'm Steve too, not repeating your name)

I was sure the panels were stock ( look pretty convincing!)

I think the panels themselves are original but to Steve’s (@conserv ‘s) point, the holes were not.