• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct orientation for CV joint central star

vairter

I'm working on servicing my CV joints due to torn boots.

When I disassembled the joint for cleaning, I found the central star installed so that the raised edge (see the pic) on one of the faces of the star was facing outboard (i.e., away from the half-shaft).  Is this the correct orientation?  Perhaps it becomes obvious during re-assembly that this is the only orientation that will allow the joint to articulate properly, but I haven't started on re-assembly.

Another question I have concerns the installation direction for the ball cage.  The cage seems symmetric so that it shouldn't matter how it is positioned in the CV joint during re-assembly.  Is this the case, or do I have to pay attention to some subtle clues to tell you what orientation to use?

Terry

IMG_3017_RaisedEdge_small.jpg

I found this discussion of installation direction for bearing cage and star on a CV joint for an M2:

Here is the specific text:

CV_star_cage_orientation.jpg.07af8ab26ae7c3e4f8ba35a70362224e.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether the bearing carrier ring has "a beveled edge that points toward the shaft"?  I don't really see this in the picture and it wasn't apparent on the actual bearing carrier ring from my CV joint, so I thought it could be installed in either orientation...

Terry

Terry--By carrier ring do you mean the cage? I've never noticed a difference in either side of the cage, so I just put them in without regard to orientation. Never had a CV fail after rebuilding. That is only my experience with BMW 2002 and e21 320i CVs. CV from other vehicle manufacturers may be different.

In the post I made:

with regard to your other thread:

I see that the Porsche 930 CV joint does indeed reference a "large opening" and "Small opening" side of the CV cage. This is toward the bottom of the first page of the post.

Cross-linking the CV posts here so that further searches have bread crumbs to follow.

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii
  • Like 2

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I took a closer look at the "carrier ring/cage" and it does indeed have 2 different profiles at the 2 openings, one with more bevel than the other.  I don't know where 02tom got the information that the bevelled edge is supposed to point towards the shaft.  Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

jimk-

Thanks for the reference to Fig. 8.19 in the Haynes manual.  The drawing is subtle, but it shows the bevelled edge of the cage toward the shaft.

I'm guessing that it probably doesn't really matter and that most folks install it in an arbitrary orientation.

Thanks again.