• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why shouldn't I put a K100 motor in my '02?

Mucci

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't put a BMW K100 (motorcycle) motor in my 2002? I can't find a reason not to.

It's a 1L 4cyl motor, fuel injected ITB's, makes 90hp, revs to 8500rpm and weighs only 165lbs with trans. That's the same power as an M10 but half the weight and 2k more revs.

In addition to that RB Racing makes turbo kits for these and has squeezed 309hp out of one at 15psi.

598b9fc40e66a_BMWKTurbo.jpg.40d4b25d637a9798fd8ad28cc693b5b6.jpg

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

There is no reason at all, in terms of showing off your fabrication / building skills.

I do note that the bike engine may have a similar amount of horsepower to a stock M10 but it only has about half the torque (63 lb ft Vs 116lb ft).  You would need the turbo to make it competitive though the weight loss would obviously be beneficial. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

This has been done with many cars, just do an internet search. While keeping the BMW theme might appeal to fans of the marque you're already modifying the crap out of it. Get yourself a Hyabusa engine to start with, 180 HP and 103 lb/ft of torque at 7K rpm right out of the box. Turbo kits are available up to 400HP I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fetherston said:

No reverse and a sequential trans will get old real fast. Also you'll eat clutches and I'm not sure how the K100 engine would handle life in an upright configuration vs flat like on the bike.

Ahhh right, reverse :rolleyes:

The clutch issue I'm sure can be addressed. I doubt the RB bike with 300+hp was running a stock clutch.

Why upright the motor? Lower CG in it's current state and it'd still have gobs of room in the bay.

2 hours ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

What sort of engine/transmission to driveshaft combination would even work in that configuration? You would have to machine the living daylights out of that I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Doubt it'd be too crazy. The K bike is shaft driven already. Align the drivelines and make an adapter. Cake! :D

2 hours ago, solo 2 said:

This has been done with many cars, just do an internet search. While keeping the BMW theme might appeal to fans of the marque you're already modifying the crap out of it. Get yourself a Hyabusa engine to start with, 180 HP and 103 lb/ft of torque at 7K rpm right out of the box. Turbo kits are available up to 400HP I believe.

Wonder what the Busa's do about reverse...

You could do a K1300 motor instead I guess. 175hp 107tq.

The K100 just looks more period... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mucci

They mention a "reverse unit" in these smart hayabusa conversion kits. Not sure what that is, but it looks like reverse is solvable.

http://www.sinistersandsports.com/smartcar.html

For inspiration;

A Smart is only a couple hundred pounds lighter than a 2002. Go for it and please document your progress.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

22 minutes ago, Simeon said:

i am glad I am not his neighbour :lol:

Agreed. 

Not sure why, but something about donuts in a smart car is just awesome.

A friend sent me a similar Smartbusa video several years ago and this thread reminded me of it.

Anyway, back to bmw content; are there any mini cars or three wheelers in Europe that use BMW motorcycle engines? Maybe there are factory parts. Or maybe there's an electric solution?

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has modified an Isetta?

edit: yes, yes they have. 

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/epcp-1003-1957-bmw-isetta-300/

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/