• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

22 hours ago, 0257 said:

Mosman58, I don’t have an opinion about different coolants, but I am using blue BMW brand coolant, loosely 50/50 with distilled water.  I guess there’s one thing I like better about it than the stuff from Autozone — it’s less oily feeling, cleans up easier.

5 hours ago, 1602bmw said:

Little update to the grill today. I love the all-chrome look, but I think it is better suited on darker colour cars, and the Sahara needed the contrast. So I covered the slats today with vinyl matt black wrap. Quick, easy and I think quite effective. Thoughts? IMG_20201109_152317_401.jpg

IMG_20201109_181734_072.jpg

IMG_20201109_152317_398.jpg

IMG_20201109_152317_399.jpg

Works for me!

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Time for the old rearrefresh. Cheap tranny jack and a nudge or two from the floor jack, and voila.  Hope it’s as easy going the other way.  That all just sounds tawdry somehow.

C09D810F-3EBA-4823-8CBC-9FD9DFE51FAD.jpeg

• Like 3

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

After a pretty long hiatus in which I have taken care of many other non-2002 projects, winter is here and I am back at it at long last.

Finally spent a few minutes marking and trimming the e24 seats and they fit perfectly on top of the batterymart 24AH battery... Slightly bigger battery than the miata or odyssy ones, but also more AH and oddles of CCA. Glad I made it work. Figured out a bracket to mount the bits to the stock hook on the rear firewall. Deciding still how to affix the front. Possible just some screws as the front mount plates on it appear to be made to be screwed on.

Also 3d printed this molex connector recently. Going to snip all my EFI wires that run through the firewall and route them through this connector so I can just unplug it to remove. Also has a bunch of extra pin holes so I can easily add more wires for a few upcoming plans...

Lastly, not sure if I mentioned, but pulled the rear glass and have it prepped to go back in with a new seal. Just need to find a helper ?

Dont mind the white powder. It was a wild evening.

7D549089-F943-4662-9FB3-AEB78A63F1DE.jpeg

38F79FDA-8C79-4AA6-B672-825EB6E69B22.jpeg

30D956F6-65B8-45F2-B3F8-4AE40A19396D.jpeg

• Like 6

'74 Verona

2 minutes ago, 2002#3 said:

Yep, Tom, lately I have no assurance my text will transmit.  Still, the best car site in the Universe.

Larry

No doubt about that, Larry!

I try to remember to copy the whole post before submitting it, so I can edit the text back in; but sometimes I forget that step.

I started a thread in the "Site Problems" section.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/268257-text-disappearing-from-posts/

Tom

First-level disassembly done, degreased, ready to pull hubs and push out the rest of the old bushings and seals. Then off to paint, though these components barely need it— can’t believe they’re almost 46 years old — and put the new stuff on/in.  But first, innit deer season in Texas?

36607F91-4708-4828-A13F-6EDFE0140BC3.jpeg

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

49 minutes ago, 0257 said:

But first, innit deer season in Texas?

Indeed... General Season opened last Saturday.  If only we could get some cooler weather... 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Just now, zinz said:

Indeed... General Season opened last Saturday.  If only we could get some cooler weather... 

Ed

Well then, I’ll be sweating in an oak motte near Brady if it doesn’t cool off in the next week.

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

I had the rental race car on the track last weekend...

A photographer captured itgoing off in turn 9 at Willow Springs Raceway (most, if not all, have gone off in T-9). Dust, but no damage. The driver - a rookie - did great, actually, had a good time and reserved the car for the next VARA race. -KB

D847FE4C-7A4B-411E-A3D0-1E69DA9A1E8E.jpeg

5BBF26A6-FB1A-471C-B6D6-63BCBA3F6938.jpeg

• Like 7

Started a build sheet/book on project engine for Survivor, got all the pistons out and measured the cylinder bores.

Not bad, not bad all. Diameter, taper and ovality all looking good. Zero ridge at cylinder tops.

Block deck is flat and water passages look good.

Appears to have a replacement E21/E30 oil pump installed.

The installed 9.3:1 Pistons are soaking in cleaner right now but preliminary checks on them look promising.

It's becoming apparent that this grubby,$200 engine was gone through at some point including an overbore  to .5mm, replacement Mahle pistons and a new oil pump. I may get lucky here.

I'll get the block to the machine shop Monday for a bath/cleaning.

Not liking the looks of the crank gear though, some pretty sharp points on some of the teeth.

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris