What did you do to your 2002 today !

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glass man showed up and installed front and rear with no problems in and out in two hours...couple more days and I’ll be at the finish line.

My view today here at Mid-America in Eureka Springs, Arkansas 

Couple days late to post but the Touring arrived after its 2 month journey from Italy.          

Posted Images

On 8/19/2020 at 12:55 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I pulled the spark plugs out and found that the gaps had grown to    .032", so I set them back to .025".  

The reason I pulled them was to make the engine easy to turn over, while I adjusted the valves.  I spun it using the fan blades.  One valve was a little loose and a few were a little tight.

IMG_4747.JPG

On my test drive the exhaust leak got a whole lot louder when the pipes broke in two.  I wired them back together to make the drive home a bit less obnoxious.

IMG_4754.JPG

The fiberglass/hose clamps was from a previous half-assed  band-aid over the rust-hole that grew.

This time I did a three-quarters-assed fix by cutting the old rusty connection off and making a coupler out of a piece of poly-tarp-shed pole that was slightly larger in diameter. 

IMG_4764.JPG

I slit it lengthwise and pinched it down over the exhaust with hose clamps.  I found that tapping it with a little hammer allowed for tightening the clamps more, as the pipe slid into itself.  Tighten, tap, tap... tighten, tap, tap... and put the U-bolt on the front end for good measure.

IMG_4756.JPG

I had the clamps facing down, the first time around, but then flipped them up to the topside. 

IMG_4767.JPG

It is really nice to have a quiet car again.

Where you from...?

"You got you some get-er-done skills !" :D

Impressive :ph34r:

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Greg R aka Big_Lebowski said:

Spontaneous early Friday morning drive through the Texas Hill Country with good friends Barney Toler and Ed Z.

CB0E9803-18EC-4594-8F67-FA93D9406721.jpeg

43BE8BF2-68FB-4E76-AEBF-B33BBD850482.jpeg

81908528-A63D-4C6F-A4B0-F74604D6FACA.jpeg

Edited by 0257
Need to add text
24 minutes ago, 0257 said:

That Sahara ‘02 — looks suspiciously like a car I drove in 1985 in Austin for six months while marketing for a fellow.  Is it a ‘76?  Long-time Austin car?

945B1133-73E6-4554-A804-8C79112D5823.jpeg

It’s a 76 Chamonix that my Uncle purchased new up in Wichita, Kansas.  I was 10 the first time I rode in it in late 1976.  It’s been in Wichita since until  I took ownership roughly 10 years ago and brought it to Cedar Park.

18 minutes ago, Greg R aka Big_Lebowski said:

It’s a 76 Chamonix that my Uncle purchased new up in Wichita, Kansas.  I was 10 the first time I rode in it in late 1976.  It’s been in Wichita since until  I took ownership roughly 10 years ago and brought it to Cedar Park.

Pretty car.  Needless to say, I regretted not being the buyer of that ‘02 I sold back in ‘85.  

• Like 1

I planned to do a few things today. None of them worked out, most frustrating of all trying to fit UK plates and remove the current ones, but transpires that's not an easy swap (why would it be) as the current ones have weird rivets that I can't remove. Must be a 70's thing. So I just stared at it for while. I think that's still a win.

IMG_20200718_143748 (1).jpg

IMG_20200822_180446.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Chris Brewerton said:

I planned to do a few things today. None of them worked out, most frustrating of all trying to fit UK plates and remove the current ones, but transpires that's not an easy swap (why would it be) as the current ones have weird rivets that I can't remove. Must be a 70's thing. So I just stared at it for while. I think that's still a win.

IMG_20200718_143748 (1).jpg

IMG_20200822_180446.jpg

You have to drill those in order to get the licence plate out.

12 minutes ago, Chris Brewerton said:

I had a horrible feeling that may be the case. The front plates are attached to the bumper this way too....might just stick my new plates on top of these

I do that all the time.

It´s very easy, you just drill the center of the rivet until the large part of the rivet comes of. Then take the plate of and clean the mounting holes with the drill again.