Berk Ergin

What did you do to your 2002 today !

4,880 posts / 357694 viewsLast Reply

I just want to recognize Jim Gerock, originator of the previous version of this thread.  Thank you, Jim, for a brilliant idea!

Best regards,

Steve

58 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I just want to recognize Jim Gerock, originator of the previous version of this thread.  Thank you, Jim, for a brilliant idea!

Best regards,

Steve

Absolutely. 'So good they made it twice'

(edited)

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Best regards,

Steve

+1 with  my thanks

Edited by joysterm

I love it. I always find it really inspiring to see the big and small jobs everyone gets up to. I think it's good to try and do 1 thing a week (or a day!) to your car, whether that's rebuild the engine or give it a wash and drive, its good by me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

+1

How many posts were there in that original thread?  Massive.

Thanks guys.  Have been traveling and busy with work so I let someone else start another one.  

Stay tuned. 

3 hours ago, ArtProf said:

Pulled out this old guy.

L1110514.jpg

That looks like a good candidate for a new core (+ a right side hanger).

I had mine re-cored with 4 cores per inch, 25% more cooling.  Water temperature stays at normal or below even in summer conditions.  After years of praying that the needle doesn't go into the red, I'm an advocate of re-coring vs buying a non-OEM rad.  I do own a W&N back-up though. ;)

• Thanks 1

Hacked together a bushing puller for those stubborn giant torsion bar bushings on the subframe. Made from a section of bicycle downtube, allthread, misc. hardware, and workpiece hold-downs from the CNC.
f3d1f7d8dbcf663a56aa580438400542.jpg
Also FINALLY broke the balljoints loose from the strut arms.... they were sitting in piles of rust so deep you couldn't decipher the nuts. Without a hydraulic press, it took a few hours of unfruitful sledgehammering with a drift, then 24 hours of liquid wrench soaking, followed by several heavy strikes, and then finally a torch and some serious hits to break free.
2c2188c378d38fffd853c0ef53e59b87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also then dropped off the parts to my buddy (including my NOS Abarth resonator which has developed some unsightly rust after just a few years) to my buddy with the media blasting shop for glass bead blasting and paint.

He's got a pretty sweet setup!

5d8da7ba6e327e218b7e3404059b0822.jpg

1 sandblast cabinet, one Glass bead, and one paint booth. All 3 you could fit a semi in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Hacked together a bushing puller for those stubborn giant torsion bar bushings on the subframe. Made from a section of bicycle downtube, allthread, misc. hardware, and workpiece hold-downs from the CNC.

Nice engineerng, but not necessary at all Scoob. Easy job in the future for those thinking about this.

from my comments in the Front Suspension Rehab Article in the Articles Section: 

"The big torsion bar bushing at the front of the subframe is easy as pie... You absolutely don't need the home-made PVC/all-thread compressor tool.

Remove the old bushing by cutting the lip of the old bushing with a sharp knife and pry it out with pliers, screwdriver, etc... easy.

I'm assuming the car is on jackstands for this...

To install the new bushing, liberally lube the bushing and subframe hole with brake caliper grease (Syl Glide at NAPA) (not harmful to rubber). Put the torsion bar thru the subframe hole and install the bushing onto the torsion bar with the front washer and nut. You only need to spin the nut on a few turns.

I laid on my back, with my foot in the fender well.  Grab the rear portion of the torsion rod, and pull back, using your legs for maximum effort.  You may need to twist the torsion rod to get it started, but I found both of mine went in with very minimal effort.

This was the simplest part of the front suspension rebuild, IMO.

Hope this helps,  PM me if you have questions,

Ed Z"

Finally got my doors completed, including the speaker install.  The PO holes were totally f'd so I got larger speakers to cover up some of the hack marks.  Next step is to get the alarm so I can wire up the power door locks. 

I am doing that in a while. I want to do the ignition then drive it for a while.