Berk Ergin

What did you do to your 2002 today !

4,884 posts / 359222 viewsLast Reply

14 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Today I took the 2002 to go look at a Baja bug I was thinking of adding to the stable but decided to pass.
They sure do look good together though! 99337cf828560b1342c9b6a22e22c0e6.jpgb8f7cc043067c28b4af64e1000ea2584.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What size are those awesome looking wheels?

Pulled my alternator, with the intention of disassembling it to problem-shoot my charging issues.

2cb22740a33e66526a9a8e6d87475df5.jpg

Got foiled by one of the bolts that refuses to break free. Gotta get a can of penetrating oil and let it soak a few days. :/

9913dd87709e1ce95738674dc68c401d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Pulled my alternator, with the intention of disassembling it to problem-shoot my charging issues.

2cb22740a33e66526a9a8e6d87475df5.jpg

Got foiled by one of the bolts that refuses to break free. Gotta get a can of penetrating oil and let it soak a few days. 😕

9913dd87709e1ce95738674dc68c401d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps use one of these nifty tools after the penetration fluid soaks . 

769B8918-76DC-42F5-B303-333D4A9E7C46.jpeg

• Like 2

Yah, I was thinking to also check at the hardware store when I go for penetrating oil, and see if they had a broad flat-headed T-handle driver that would let me put more pressure and torque on it. I imagine that little bit of kit attached to an impact gun would only wallow-out the Flathead slot further than I already have. 

I was practically standing on the screwdriver with a few veins poppin' outa me forhead trying to get it to budge. Could feel the bolt torquing/twisting a good bit under load, but the threads refused to give. Even hit it with a torch for a bit, with no luck. 

We've got a round-2 date this evening.

8 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Yah, I was thinking to also check at the hardware store when I go for penetrating oil, and see if they had a broad flat-headed T-handle driver that would let me put more pressure and torque on it. I imagine that little bit of kit attached to an impact gun would only wallow-out the Flathead slot further than I already have. 

I was practically standing on the screwdriver with a few veins poppin' outa me forhead trying to get it to budge. Could feel the bolt torquing/twisting a good bit under load, but the threads refused to give. Even hit it with a torch for a bit, with no luck. 

We've got a round-2 date this evening.

This is a hand tool not air . You hammer the end of it and it creates a impact that shouldn’t harm the slot like a air tool would . I used one on my locked up door striker bolts . Success! Where fluid did nothing 

• Like 1

Ahhhh! I get it. I saw "impact driver" molded into the case, and assumed you just chucked that into an electric impact gun. Just need a proper description of how it worked. Haven't seen a tool like that before, but I like it!

+1 on the Impact driver. That thing can be a life saver.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

I was practically standing on the screwdriver with a few veins poppin' outa me forhead trying to get it to budge.

It is often helpful to try tightening as well as loosening stuck fasteners.  Back and forth breaks them free better than just trying to back them out.

I do like my battery powered impact driver for this, running it in very quick bursts both ways, back and forth.  You have to make sure the slotted tip fills the slot though.

Also try tapping on the case at the place where the threads are, using a tiny hammer.  Just little taps can crack the grip.  Don't crack the aluminum though!  Tiny taps is all it takes.

• Like 2

And if all that fails, cut the shaft with a Dremel and get a new screw. 

Cheers,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do like my battery powered impact driver

Not gonna lie, I would have lost this bet.
I would have pegged you for an "anti impact" kinda guy.
I can't live without mine. This $15 90°attachment is a great addition to it also. It makes a crappy task like swapping a fan blade a breeze! cea820526e279af31c1a93d50544ed0f.jpg5f7a70d98a3eb5ce12ad9bbeffce57d5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rolled back to Austin after a 1750 mile round trip to the fall mid American drive in Rodgers Arkansas many thinks to Bo & Barb Black for putting this on...two trips up/down the pig trail / thru the Arkansas Grand Canyon with no problems....

9C0358E3-71BD-40C7-B733-B78CAD2A939F.jpeg

1490C03F-4C09-4A60-A8A2-6BA9862AEF42.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

are those real gas prices on the sign? lol...omg that's ridiculously cheap compared to CA

5 minutes ago, iinca said:

are those real gas prices on the sign? lol...omg that's ridiculously cheap compared to CA

You need to get out more :P

• Like 2