Berk Ergin

What did you do to your 2002 today !

4,677 posts / 326289 viewsLast Reply

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

need to pull the LR and see if the end of the cable came off the hook. Anything else I should check?

Significant stretch seems to be part of the life cycle of these cables. It’s pretty common that people make up spacers from short sections of pipe or a number of slightly larger nuts that fit over the threaded portion and space the nuts off the handbrake lever. This restores the ability to adjust them and wrings a bit more life from them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My used radiator had a small leak at the solder joint of the upper tank and the return tube. The guy I got it from offered to replace it, but I asked if he knew if it was fixable first. He shared a video of someone on youtube fixing the exact same issue using solder... it was soldered in originally, as well. I was able to re-solder it successfully and so far it's holding up.

In the mean time, I set to figuring out why my engine would bog down when facing up hill. To the best of my understanding this can only happen when the float bowl has too much fuel in it and it "spills over" at an incline. So I lowered the float level a decent amount. After starting up the car to heat it up and test my solder, I found that the choke was much more effective when dead cold and the car ran smoother when cold and choked for the first minute. That was cool to see that improvement and makes some sense. It seems like maybe due to my float being too high, when choked I was drawing in far too much fuel. After warming the car up I readjusted the idle and mixture since the float level effects that. Got it running quite smooth and I am happy with it. Tomorrow I will see how it does on a hill. Hoping I improved that. Also curious as to why my float level was not agreeing with my carb when set at "spec", but it seems like lowering it was a good choice so far. After a few drives I will know more.

• Like 2

Where did you buy the third brake light kit?  It looks almost OEM.  I want one, too.

Where did you buy the third brake light kit?  It looks almost OEM.  I want one, too.

Contact halboyles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Added a strobe so that it flashes 4 short, 4 long, then constant.

I added one, it created a 1 second delay in my third LED brake light, does yours do this as well?

74EC35E3-ECAC-4B08-9250-4B8B8D251F90.thumb.jpeg.ad630acdce3c5ef071d49f3891bf49b6.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, flagoworld said:

My used radiator had a small leak at the solder joint of the upper tank and the return tube. The guy I got it from offered to replace it, but I asked if he knew if it was fixable first. He shared a video of someone on youtube fixing the exact same issue using solder... it was soldered in originally, as well. I was able to re-solder it successfully and so far it's holding up.

In the mean time, I set to figuring out why my engine would bog down when facing up hill. To the best of my understanding this can only happen when the float bowl has too much fuel in it and it "spills over" at an incline. So I lowered the float level a decent amount. After starting up the car to heat it up and test my solder, I found that the choke was much more effective when dead cold and the car ran smoother when cold and choked for the first minute. That was cool to see that improvement and makes some sense. It seems like maybe due to my float being too high, when choked I was drawing in far too much fuel. After warming the car up I readjusted the idle and mixture since the float level effects that. Got it running quite smooth and I am happy with it. Tomorrow I will see how it does on a hill. Hoping I improved that. Also curious as to why my float level was not agreeing with my carb when set at "spec", but it seems like lowering it was a good choice so far. After a few drives I will know more.

Went for a drive to get coffee. Bogging on hills is now fixed. That feels good.

Figured out what a weird speed-dependent rubbing sound was. It's my speedo cable. Needs to be lubed, I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flagoworld said:

Went for a drive to get coffee. Bogging on hills is now fixed. That feels good.

Figured out what a weird speed-dependent rubbing sound was. It's my speedo cable. Needs to be lubed, I guess.

And start saving for a new one 😋

• Sad 1

Cleaned up the domed pistons,  and preparing the block for paint and mock up assembly.  What color should I paint the block?  I was thinking semi black.

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Obtuse443 said:

PM halboyles on this forum.  He did a build-to-order production run, not sure if he has additional units.

Hal...  think E9s! 😉

(edited)
12 hours ago, chargin said:

I added one, it created a 1 second delay in my third LED brake light, does yours do this as well?

I didn't notice.  I'll have to test it in low light so that I can see with a mirror.

BTW, nice polish work on that Inka paint!  A project for later this year or next year.

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
additional info

Wash, clayed, washed, and waxed both Bimmers over the weekend.

hxjpyfrdhdpuaox2lrtg.jpg

e4wd4zzzekyzco1pcc1m.jpg

oxfsjaogjrxovuddlscs.jpg

• Like 2

With a little help from my son, I managed to fit the hood lifting torsion bar tonight.

IMG_3696.jpg

• Like 2

Installed two USB charging ports and did some work on my broken locks. Fixed one, found a broken tumbler on the other. Knock one thing off the list and already adding another...