• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Finally got the drivers side floor in!

After getting it tacked in place and plugwelded ot the chassis rail and firewall, I used the spotwelder to spot the flange of the flloor to the inner rocker.

In only 1-2 minutes it was spotwelded. Oh man, do I love this thing!

33723598158_8b997c5227_b.jpg

47547716882_5696c16205_b.jpg

33723597878_6f30b942fa_b.jpg

Completely welded and ground down, turned out great!

47547716472_94c5873dd6_b.jpg

33723597588_a67dacfe62_b.jpg

And covered in paint.

33723597268_e6b0d8c5be_b.jpg

32658264077_79bcc3778d_b.jpg

• Like 13

I didn't take any pics but I adjusted the valves. They were equally tight but within spec. I set them at .008 and fired it up. Sounds good but unfortunately it's raining hard so no driving at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, BarneyT said:

Very happy with the glasurit paint and the way the overall

Wow!  Love that Inka!?

And all of that space to work... I'm jealous! (In a nice way...lucky you!?)

• Thanks 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

17 hours ago, VWJake said:

‘73 Chamonix

I managed a few hours this evening to work on my own junk. I replaced the rotten portion of the right inner wheelhouse.

80F3F1E2-EB9B-4670-8426-4D3FE66E22D3.thumb.jpeg.f63452a69165a35241ddb7db08adbf54.jpegI made/welded in 4 patch panels for the gas tank half of the trunk floor. I did a bit of clean up/bead blasting of the trunk floor. I wasn’t real thorough as this entire car is going to take a POR15 bath before paint, but I did make sure that there weren’t any holes hidden by scale. 

4590DCE6-59EF-4B44-8C81-84B5A78594C4.thumb.jpeg.c528f4042e3a5725eed11ebdee38b9d0.jpeg

183DAECD-7F70-431F-84F3-B0048FDF9216.thumb.jpeg.a82bef8509bd519238225cfc04bdbb55.jpeg

A9F9F90A-F92D-446A-96D9-FCFC32EED036.thumb.jpeg.01957616e4756e8d663182983bd09ba7.jpeg

Geeze, I think I may be about ready to weld this piece in. Then I can fit the spare tire well and a tail panel. At an average of 2.5hrs/wk that should take me til about the first weekend in May. I promised myself that I’d be driving this car around town before the snow flies this year... I think I’m a tick behind schedule at this point. ?

Impressive, as always. Beautiful even.

I replaced my master cylinder today on the '76 02. Man, one of those brake line flare fittings (underside, closest to the booster) KICKED MY ASS! I fussed and cussed for longer than I care to admit and failed to get the nut started. Finally took all the other lines completely off, pulled the master back off the studs far enough to get more wiggle room, and got the thing started successfully. Wrapped up the rest in a few minutes. Used a power bleeder and I was back on the road!

I've paused driving long enough to suck down a quad latte and write this post, then I'm going back out on the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d.hitchcock said:

I replaced my master cylinder today on the '76 02. Man, one of those brake line flare fittings (underside, closest to the booster) KICKED MY ASS! I fussed and cussed for longer than I care to admit and failed to get the nut started. Finally took all the other lines completely off, pulled the master back off the studs far enough to get more wiggle room, and got the thing started successfully. Wrapped up the rest in a few minutes. Used a power bleeder and I was back on the road!

I've paused driving long enough to suck down a quad latte and write this post, then I'm going back out on the road.

I just did my MC grommets today and feed hoses today. Also replaced the 4 oem dated 11/74 flex hoses leading to caliper . Not sure if these new grommets have more visible

rubber sitting on top or the originals just started  to shrink away lol.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Impressive, as always. Beautiful even.

Lol, I wouldn’t go that far. This car will never be a pebble beach participant.

“Ugly but effective sorta like my first girlfriend” Is more like it.  It’s not gonna be a heap either. I’m building this with the idea that it could be my 2yo sons first car. I’ll make it strong and sound, and won’t be upset when he wrecks it. After all, this car should have been scrapped. 

Thanks for the compliment none the less.

-Jake

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VWJake said:

Lol, I wouldn’t go that far. This car will never be a pebble beach participant.

“Ugly but effective sorta like my first girlfriend” Is more like it.  It’s not gonna be a heap either. I’m building this with the idea that it could be my 2yo sons first car. I’ll make it strong and sound, and won’t be upset when he wrecks it. After all, this car should have been scrapped. 

Thanks for the compliment none the less.

-Jake

It's always hard for people, myself included, to see past perceived shortcomings in their own work. It wasn't straight enough, the patch panel was too flat, bead roller kinked the panel a little bit, blah blah blah. There are few restored cars in existence that couldn't have been better somehow. You do awesome work on tasks I wouldn't even attempt. I love seeing your progress reports. But if you want to apologize for the car, that's your prerogative. ?

• Like 4

I am trying to get the car rolling again this weekend. I finished stripping and cleaning the underbody so that I could seal, rubberize, and paint it back to a traditional factory appearance. I will work on adding the body-color overspray that would have been present when the factory was painting the rockers and rear apron of the car. I will do the wheel wells at this time also. 

Working on getting the subframe squared away tonight. I have the trailing arms buttoned back up, just need to finish rebuilding the axles and painting the differential case. Then I can pop the vapor blasted cover on and move on to installing everything in one lift.

I had time to re-seal the steering box. Bummed that I didn't notice that it was a replacement prior to sending the box out for vapor blasting. It is dated 7-1974... this will bother me so I will likely be looking for a late 1970 or early 1971 steering box to install when the time comes to match the build date of my car.

I installed a NOS Euro headlamp to make sure everything fit properly up front seeing as the car needed surgery to undo the quad headlamps conversion. A side note, the car will need a final visit to the paint to correct the open seam between the fender and front nose.

IMG_4819.thumb.jpeg.e510d76f3f43ac1e7d5ef4bf563876bc.jpeg

IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.837c3584aea5bff271ae833392de6207.jpeg

IMG_4826.thumb.jpeg.7040c7d4bcf6374fb2e5447894add6c3.jpeg

IMG_4814.thumb.jpeg.fbb2bbcc92bd1905af9de1d547ec7447.jpeg

IMG_4833.thumb.jpeg.64f38627ccaeb728735c7e9bcad6599a.jpeg

• Like 2

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

5 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Got a Brand new Tii unit in a box staring at me every time I go in the garage.

Congrats on conquering this day. I hate brake fluid!

• Like 2

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It's always hard for people, myself included, to see past perceived shortcomings in their own work. It wasn't straight enough, the patch panel was too flat, bead roller kinked the panel a little bit, blah blah blah. There are few restored cars in existence that couldn't have been better somehow. You do awesome work on tasks I wouldn't even attempt. I love seeing your progress reports. But if you want to apologize for the car, that's your prerogative. ?

True words.

Thank you

12 hours ago, Mike G said:

I got an alignment since I replaced the tie rods/center link recently. The positive camber is disappointing with IE’s fixed plates installed.

How low is it?

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.