Berk Ergin

What did you do to your 2002 today !

3,601 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

Got the subframes on and she finally is sitting on her own weight!  Still a long way to go, but she's almost ready to go back to the body shop! 

IMG_3347.jpgIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3352.jpg

Edited by Get2theBimmah
  • Like 2

Pulled about 70 pounds of unnecessary stuff out of the car from in front of the front axle... All the e30 AC parts and some other stuff. New Mishimoto radiator going in tomorrow.

IMG_20190211_161538393.jpg

IMG_20190211_161359144.jpg

That bumper definitely needs to go.

You might appreciate the air con when you are flying around in that. 

Baikal ‘73

Welded in the Alfa parts spare tire well. Fits well. Took some pondering decide how to assemble/install it. The ring is about 6” longer than it needs to be I started by butt welding the ring to the bottom. I trimmed the excess of the ring away and welded the remaining seam. Then I cut the well out of the car about halfway into the radius. Hammer/dollied that flat and then stitched the new well to the car. I plug welded the tow sheet and tire mount back in. I’ll seam seal the remaining flange from underneath. 

Since I did all of the welding from the inside there was very little to grind from underneath. After undercoated there should be no outward indications that it is a two piece well.

0BC9D30E-57B7-48D2-89A9-FFE9FE7AFDD0.thumb.jpeg.99154131d377491cb71c3cdca1dd0772.jpeg

F6985AF9-16B2-4C70-A0DB-32012B854624.thumb.jpeg.f80abf73cffb308be5964661f0c79f90.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Simeon said:

That bumper definitely needs to go.

You might appreciate the air con when you are flying around in that. 

Yeah, my dog definitely appreciates AC.  Tinting the windows does wonders for inside temperature, especially up here at 1,500m.  Which makes cars slow, too, so need to add lightness...

Finished my custom wire loom / mini wire tuckWIRES.thumb.png.0c0773873bffc9f2150dba5d7654b998.png

wrinkle painted my valve cover and hand filed. 

VC1.thumb.png.51107af04c3af0e0a6f0d413b6150aa9.png

VC2.thumb.png.805f115625614a9c148346f06d38b47e.png

VC3.thumb.png.e7dd44b0cc159186f01ef87f4af10153.png

final product under hood

MOTOR21019.thumb.png.20f428c33db83b43e2439b6bf055cdad.png

• Like 11

Id lose the filter on the rocker cover, or your nice shiny carbs will have a nice film of oil, Id recommend a good catch can with a baffle. Just a thought.Love the crinkle coat, was it had to do?

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Id lose the filter on the rocker cover, or your nice shiny carbs will have a nice film of oil, Id recommend a good catch can with a baffle. Just a thought.Love the crinkle coat, was it had to do?

Yes I am doing an oil catch can - just haven't gotten it yet. 

the wrinkle paint wasnt hard, bu I have been painting for a while - the key is heat and doing even coats

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrAdams said:

Yes I am doing an oil catch can - just haven't gotten it yet. 

the wrinkle paint wasnt hard, bu I have been painting for a while - the key is heat and doing even coats

I'd heard it was helpful to preheat the piece being painted.  And maybe a thick first coat...  No personal experience, just relaying info from reliable friends.

4 hours ago, irdave said:

I'd heard it was helpful to preheat the piece being painted.  And maybe a thick first coat...  No personal experience, just relaying info from reliable friends.

YES i made a contraption to have my heat gun on it for about 10 minutes, when the part was warm to the touch i blasted the first coat. then left it under the gun for each coat - then did a thick final coat and left the gun on it for like 20 minutes before i filed it. i know they say not to touch it for 24 hours, but I'm impatient 😊

Bought a NOS dizzy

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 3

Resealed my new (to me) steering box then took my oil pan off because I had nothing better to do. This doesn’t look factory, there was a bit of hard sealant(?) around the exposed threads. What type of sealant would be best to apply here when I put the pan back on? Will the stock gasket seal without anything else thrown in?

is there anything else I should inspect with the pan off?

7395028D-3C76-4B54-BA81-3A31075B69C7.jpeg

(edited)

Just back from an extended 2002 road trip - had a blast again...

Tom

😎

Edited by visionaut
Le Mars 2019