• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

36 minutes ago, chargin said:

Jimmy, the console is really a quality part, even the shift boot and E-brake were beautiful custom made heavy weight leather. 

1F4AAAFF-54FD-477D-8AE9-384073DDDDD5.thumb.jpeg.561124485f174520548ea08211df7a5f.jpeg

Very nice. Are the cup holders effective? They look like they could be a little shallow for spirited driving but it's hard to really tell.

Well I finally put my wheels on last night, as well as Ireland Engineering extended studs and spacers. They look great, and will fit very nicely once the car is lowered... but I forgot to take into account differing center bore sizes and so didn’t get hub centric rings. That’s next on the to do list. Car won’t be driven until then, the steering wheel shakes like crazy.

cba71728ac67a4b0e144b00e90436a79.jpg95cacfa0d568c5995dfa7ba41db61844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SmoresTM
  • Like 1

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Very nice. Are the cup holders effective? They look like they could be a little shallow for spirited driving but it's hard to really tell.

Spirited driving = maybe no lose items in the cabin ??

and yes the cup holders are not all that big, but better than nothing 

honestly the whole console disign is great, considering how much a “Rebuilt Stock” one is in parts, this would be hard to beat. Not for period concourse but neither is my car by any means.

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

1 hour ago, chargin said:

Spirited driving = maybe no lose items in the cabin ??

If I'm driving that hard, it's on the track. ?

and yes the cup holders are not all that big, but better than nothing 

My other car has stock cup holders that are about useless. They look and feel the part, but basically, if there's a cup in the holder, and you drive in a manner than would likely cause the contents of any cup in the car to spill out were it not for the presence of a lid, the cup takes a dive out of the holder and you're buying new electronic components for your center stack. I'd rather they not be there than pretend. 

honestly the whole console disign is great, considering how much a “Rebuilt Stock” one is in parts, this would be hard to beat. Not for period concourse but neither is my car by any means.

Indeed.

Bought myself a nice purse at Goodwill for $2.19 ?

Actually a perfect size heavy Italian leather one that I clipped the straps off of... and it will last me for years as a tool bag to put in my new trunk box I made. 

Maybe a nice set of high heels is next to use as wheel chocks ?

6E370EAB-4511-4CCE-8A62-C054DDC4B555.thumb.jpeg.b2889b691b241861b17d1b48ece1281b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

4 hours ago, worzella said:

Bought myself a nice purse at Goodwill for $2.19 ?

Actually a perfect size heavy Italian leather one that I clipped the straps off of... and it will last me for years as a tool bag to put in my new trunk box I made. 

Maybe a nice set of high heels is next to use as wheel chocks ?

6E370EAB-4511-4CCE-8A62-C054DDC4B555.thumb.jpeg.b2889b691b241861b17d1b48ece1281b.jpeg

Well played sir, well played.

9 hours ago, SmoresTM said:

Well I finally put my wheels on last night, as well as Ireland Engineering extended studs and spacers. They look great, and will fit very nicely once the car is lowered... but I forgot to take into account differing center bore sizes and so didn’t get hub centric rings. That’s next on the to do list. Car won’t be driven until then, the steering wheel shakes like crazy.

cba71728ac67a4b0e144b00e90436a79.jpg95cacfa0d568c5995dfa7ba41db61844.jpg

Absolutely do not drive until you get the concentric rings installed. I had a tire shop switch my tires and rims and they missed installing the ring on one tire. Driving down the freeway things started to fibrate,  then later shake badly and then BOOM, my right front tire flew off taking my fender with it! I was lucky that I had started to show down before the tire left whereas at high speed as the left front dug in I might have rolled the car.  The vibration  was caused by the bending and breaking of the studs. It was fortunate that my wheel didn't hit another car as it bounced down the road.

Absolutely do not drive until you get the concentric rings installed. I had a tire shop switch my tires and rims and they missed installing the ring on one tire. Driving down the freeway things started to fibrate,  then later shake badly and then BOOM, my right front tire flew off taking my fender with it! I was lucky that I had started to show down before the tire left whereas at high speed as the left front dug in I might have rolled the car.  The vibration  was caused by the bending and breaking of the studs. It was fortunate that my wheel didn't hit another car as it bounced down the road.

It actually turned out to be a kind of weird issue. I bought the spacers from Ireland Engineering and the center bore was just a hair too small which prevented them from seating correctly. I’ve bought tons of their products before and have never had an issue like this, so I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and let them know something was not quite up to their standards. Perhaps a defective batch? Either way, I know Jeff will do what he can to correct the error. Either way, hub rings were ordered this afternoon as an extra precaution.

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

Seems strange to me that you had such trouble from missing a hub ring, considering the factory steel wheels aren't hubcentric. Later BMWs, yes, but not 2002s as far as I'm aware. Might you have had a missing or lose lug nut or a bad/weakened stud or three from past over-tightenings by gorillas at a tire shops?

-Dave

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I managed about an hr with the ‘73 the other day. 

I patched an area of the inner rocker just in front of the inertia reel mount on the right side. The pitting was quite severe- didn’t want the mount to pull through in an accident. 

A627CCBC-4377-4750-875A-8C30B6324600.thumb.jpeg.9f1a953c90d4d0be74aae0349cd5e4e9.jpeg

I also made a patch for the outter rocker. Again, it wasn’t rotted through, but the metal was so thin in spots I’m sure it would have soon enough. 

4FBAF849-6C4A-4463-97E2-BA19FCA48458.thumb.jpeg.4b3e1dc1ad14bc6e4961b5deb2240c98.jpeg

I spent a bit more time welding the RR pan and cleaning up in the RF well in anticipation of starting work there shortly. I haven’t finished burning in the tunnel side of the pan yet because I’ve been too lazy to jack the car up to massage the fit from the inside the tunnel. C34DB29F-95D7-4DBB-A1F7-EE36F0B280DD.thumb.jpeg.9a900f6c1aa24664fd806fb52de50199.jpeg

E8C07A91-575B-4573-B65A-6C23D263C72C.thumb.jpeg.7dd2f767ce59df8ce61c2e4eb358d19e.jpeg

• Like 1

Took apart my heater box. Tested core to 1.3 bar so it wasn't cause to leakage... but hose between valve & core was brittle and hardened so that has to be it. While cleaning parts up it became very real that i need new material to seal flaps. Quest for seal begun but can't really find what suits. And old article 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/73/32/

was nowhere to be found. Bugger. Any ideas to seal flaps?

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91