• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

3 minutes ago, rockyford77 said:

With what program do I view the attached file?

I am not set up to view them either.  I did a google search to find options, but was too lazy to follow through.

https://www.google.com/search?q=viewing+heic+files&rlz=1C1LEND_enUS564US564&oq=viewing+heic+file&aqs=chrome.0.0i457j69i57j0l2j0i22i30l3.5078j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tom

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

Had my 02 re tuned at a new shop.. turns out my old tuner for 3 years had no clue what he was doing! ended up need to rejet the carbs. 
no chancing big number just wanted it to run smooth again.. hp in the high 90s. Stock engine with twin 40DCOEs, 123dizzy, headers and full exhaust.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TE2002 said:

Had my 02 re tuned at a new shop..

Sounds fantastic! Glad you were able to get it properly sorted.

Ed Z

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 hours ago, TE2002 said:

Had my 02 re tuned at a new shop.. turns out my old tuner for 3 years had no clue what he was doing! ended up need to rejet the carbs. 
no chancing big number just wanted it to run smooth again.. hp in the high 90s. Stock engine with twin 40DCOEs, 123dizzy, headers and full exhaust.

That's so cute!  They can run it on the dyno with just the little blocks in front of the wheels!

(I know, I know, I just thought it was funny.  On a serious note, really great green.)

• Haha 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Small update, I was able to find an original BMW front nose panel in Germany. The seller told me it had been laying in his fathers attic for 30+ years. Since the corona pandemic it's pretty hard to travel + it was over 9hours driving to the location, a bit far.

After asking for extra pictures, we came to an agreement and the panel got shipped to my door. The back side has some paint on it, the front has overspray but still has the black coating from factory.

Very happy with my purchase, I couldn't wait and test fitted the panel with the fender and the (still original) door that's fitted on the Touring.

50573355512_c080086b6c_b.jpg

The back side where the panel gets welded on to the car was taped before painting, thus leaving bare metal, hence the rust. 

It's only surface rust so no big deal.

50573225021_c348b8816a_b.jpg

This folded edge is also a lot cleaner than the old reproduction nose we currently have

50573224916_95ceb3b7d2_b.jpg

And a test fit on the car, the cross member fit's nicely against the frame rails. The other nose had a +5mm gap!

50572479778_7a2c6593ac_b.jpg

50572479738_86955f434c_b.jpg

50573355267_6511c261c4_b.jpg

Test fitting a fender.

50572479508_5242a32d4a_b.jpg

Crazy how much better it fits! With the other nose, the fender sticked out a good 5mm or so..

50573355202_2eb55cfaa2_b.jpg

The gap is a little bit on the bigger side, but the nose panel wasn't fully seated against the egde of the inner fender.

I'm sure we'll get if nice and even once it's getting mounted for good.

50573224471_28c7f17e4d_b.jpg

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Didn't exactly do this myself, but I got it back from the body shop today after a real painting. 

A little over 10 years ago I went to europe for several weeks at the end of high school and left the car in front of my parent's house. The sprinklers hit ti every day and ruined the paint. 

I stripped the old paint with a circular sander, re-primed it in my parents' driveway, and had it painted at Maaco for $800. 

Believe it or not that paint didn't look great a decade of daily driving later. After getting dinged with a hit and run, I decided to tack on some extra work for the body shop out of pocket, and here we are today. 

Finally have door checks, rear taillights that match colors, and all of the chrome and other trim repaired or replaced.

Before it went out there, I had rebuilt my center console after years of having a broken one, if I had one at all, I rebuilt my heater box, installed a stereo amp so the head unit would stop shorting out, and I just bought an internally regulated alternator to clean up the electrical stuff under the hood. The car is really coming together after owning it for half of my life. 

There's still a long list of things to do, but next up are suspension and rims I think. For now it feels good to be driving around in a fresh looking car! 

IMG_8947.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Small update, I was able to find an original BMW front nose panel in Germany. The seller told me it had been laying in his fathers attic for 30+ years. Since the corona pandemic it's pretty hard to travel + it was over 9hours driving to the location, a bit far.

After asking for extra pictures, we came to an agreement and the panel got shipped to my door. The back side has some paint on it, the front has overspray but still has the black coating from factory.

Very happy with my purchase, I couldn't wait and test fitted the panel with the fender and the (still original) door that's fitted on the Touring.

50573355512_c080086b6c_b.jpg

The back side where the panel gets welded on to the car was taped before painting, thus leaving bare metal, hence the rust. 

It's only surface rust so no big deal.

50573225021_c348b8816a_b.jpg

This folded edge is also a lot cleaner than the old reproduction nose we currently have

50573224916_95ceb3b7d2_b.jpg

And a test fit on the car, the cross member fit's nicely against the frame rails. The other nose had a +5mm gap!

50572479778_7a2c6593ac_b.jpg

50572479738_86955f434c_b.jpg

50573355267_6511c261c4_b.jpg

Test fitting a fender.

50572479508_5242a32d4a_b.jpg

Crazy how much better it fits! With the other nose, the fender sticked out a good 5mm or so..

50573355202_2eb55cfaa2_b.jpg

The gap is a little bit on the bigger side, but the nose panel wasn't fully seated against the egde of the inner fender.

I'm sure we'll get if nice and even once it's getting mounted for good.

50573224471_28c7f17e4d_b.jpg

You kind of wonder what else that guy had in the attic!  Kudos to you for making the drive; looks like the payoff was immediate.  That reminds me that a friend has offered me a BMW OEM windshield for $200 if I'm willing to drive to Santa Fe, NM to pick it up...

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

21 hours ago, mccusername said:
21 hours ago, mccusername said:

@JWT  Your car looks great. Love the Marchal driving lights. What bracket are using for them?

Thanks,

Michael

I found them on eBay a year ago....I will try to find the link and DM you. They are easy to install and very stout!  

• Thanks 1

Took drivers side fender off to replace it. It was significantly harder to get off than the passenger side one.  Seemed to have twice as many bolts underneath and they were all coated with what I assume is sound-deadening material making them super hard to get a wrench or socket on.  PITA. Wire brushed all the surface rust and hit it with POR15. 

DA68FFB1-9F70-49C0-B5BF-E383CA1BB1F3.jpeg

Drove my ‘76 through the woods after dark! ?

Most of its use is on sunny weekend mornings. So starting out in the dark for a trip to my in-laws’ for dinner seemed strange. But it reminded me that even 45-year old Cibie Z-Beams and Series 45 driving lights can really light up the night.

Regards,

Steve

804ED3B2-D30E-4B70-AC56-997E83DBDF8B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)