• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

24 minutes ago, iinca said:

are those real gas prices on the sign? lol...omg that's ridiculously cheap compared to CA

Regular is up to 223 in Austin it was as low as 197 a month ago...and the speed limit is 75 on highway...and we have the Texas hill country.0E82DFAB-FA20-453B-9DA4-72006C2A3FAE.thumb.jpeg.6613e269b0fdcb61d3e3a1f4a68e3dcf.jpeg

• Like 6

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

lol. I guess when you say get out more you mean drive at least 1000 miles to Texas to find those prices.

"up to 223 for regular"...hehe your killin me

Jezus H. Christmas' I need a Hot Tub Time Machine to find gas that cheap

Edited by iinca
  • Haha 1

I have a 1976 2002 and the head gasket went bad, white smoke on start up on cold mornings and using coolant. No coolant in the oil. I pulled the head recently and checked the block with a straight edge and a .002" feeler gauge and had no gaps. I cleaned up the gasket off the head and checked it as well with the .002" feeler gauge and also found no gaps. I could put a new gasket on the head and see what happens. However, a couple of years ago I bought a reconditioned E12 head with a valve regrind and new seals that was done over 5 years ago and never installed, but it has no camshaft in it. A machine shop I called near me said they don't have a special tool to remove the cam, they just drive the rocker shafts in the head and rotate the cam. They said it would take 2-3 hours to swap the old 264 camshaft over to reconditioned head. I figure I could do this myself and have read the stuffed rags around the open valves method to be able to get the old cam out, but how do I install it in the reconditioned head without using a tool to compress at least some of the valves? Are there any pictures or videos of this being done? Should I just put the old head back on and call it good?

Bmw pictures .zip

11 minutes ago, timebandit said:

I have a 1976 2002 and the head gasket went bad, white smoke on start up on cold mornings and using coolant. No coolant in the oil. I pulled the head recently and checked the block with a straight edge and a .002" feeler gauge and had no gaps. I cleaned up the gasket off the head and checked it as well with the .002" feeler gauge and also found no gaps. I could put a new gasket on the head and see what happens. However, a couple of years ago I bought a reconditioned E12 head with a valve regrind and new seals that was done over 5 years ago and never installed, but it has no camshaft in it. A machine shop I called near me said they don't have a special tool to remove the cam, they just drive the rocker shafts in the head and rotate the cam. They said it would take 2-3 hours to swap the old 264 camshaft over to reconditioned head. I figure I could do this myself and have read the stuffed rags around the open valves method to be able to get the old cam out, but how do I install it in the reconditioned head without using a tool to compress at least some of the valves? Are there any pictures or videos of this being done? Should I just put the old head back on and call it good?

Bmw pictures .zip 169.38 kB · 6 downloads

Stick rags in the valves after each one gets compressed

'74 Verona

7 minutes ago, timebandit said:

Pictures attached.

It's pretty easy to add pictures, once you know how.  Just keep the folder open that has your jpgs in it. Once you've typed your message, drag and drop each picture into the grey box below your message (the box with the paperclip).  You can add the pictures to the message body where the cursor is by clicking on the + sign.  Make sense?

It's a good idea to resize your photos to something smaller than a megabyte.  You'll use up your quota very quickly and huge pictures are not required most of the time.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

There's a handful of posts on how to remove a cam via rocker shaft removal (it's easy). Take all the C clips out, pound the shafts out, rockers come out, then cam comes out. You can get an I believe 3/8" aluminum rod from Home Depot to use as a drift. Mine has done a many of heads now and even wears a special tape sticker saying "For 2002 Heads Only"

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks for your help. I started trying to do that using another old head by taking all the valve spring tension off the rockers on one side, but the rocker shaft was very hard to move in the head like it was stuck. I did manage to move it about an inch before I stopped because I was afraid I would damage the shaft or the head. Are they hard to move sometimes? 

2 hours ago, timebandit said:

I have a 1976 2002

2 hours ago, timebandit said:

I bought a reconditioned E12 head

My '76 has an E21 head, does yours?

I am not an engine builder, but I do know that the pistons and head need to "play well together."

That might influence your decision about which head to use...

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

My '76 has an E21 head, does yours?

I am not an engine builder, but I do know that the pistons and head need to "play well together."

That might influence your decision about which head to use...

(In before Conserv ?)

California-spec 76s didn't get the E21 head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, BarneyT said:

Regular is up to 223 in Austin it was as low as 197 a month ago...and the speed limit is 75 on highway...and we have the Texas hill country.0E82DFAB-FA20-453B-9DA4-72006C2A3FAE.thumb.jpeg.6613e269b0fdcb61d3e3a1f4a68e3dcf.jpeg

Man, you guys in texas are spoiled with those fuel prices. It's $1.58/L where I live right now and premium is $1.70/L

• Like 1

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner