• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

We autocrossed our 2002 on Saturday!

It was fantastic. The suspension is Billies with IE Stage II springs and big swaybars. I've been autocrossing fully prepped street touring cars for 10 years, so I was really curious how the 02 would fare.

Well, it cornered flat and had tons of steady state grip in sweepers, but the slaloms and transitions were FANTASTIC. This car LOVES to slalom.

This was our first big shakedown for the car, and a couple little issues popped up but it held together. It worked. I'm thrilled.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mvliotta said:

Took advantage of the 2 for 1 getrag 245 transmission sale going on in CT today. 

8842C026-6E64-4C1D-8B68-E56627AC3971.thumb.jpeg.0d898f83362d51f4e580b11ce4b2b073.jpeg

They had that down here at Golden Corral and I was too lazy to check it out. Transmission buffet!

Edited by JayMac
d in typing

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

Cleaned out more of the sound deadening and pulled the heater box. Fan was pretty tight but I would be too if I sat for as look as this has been sitting. I had to know if it was working at all so I flushed the core until the water was clear and then hit the motor with some electrical cleaner moving it around with my finger through the shield. Got serious when I busted out the compressed air and used it to rotate the fan while spraying in the cleaner. Battery, jumper cables, and a few touches to the leads on the fan and she took off like a jet. Happy camper!

IMG_2394[1].JPG

• Like 4

Cleaned up the new console wiring, the new gauge cluster wiring, the wiring in the trunk. Did some more work on the console to include figuring out the right combination to bypass the hazard switch and run a new one off a toggle. Started epoxy work on the dash in preps for getting it to the upholstery shop this week for new leather.

2ddec05bbbb60fd001d8b518764a75c4.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, TVeye said:

Finally got my wipers sorted (this happened over an 8 month period, only finished today.)

Removed, unstuck, lubed and painted entire arm mechanism.

Bench tested and diagnosed motor to have bad slow speed circuit.

Found the switch to be grounding out on the back side of the dash...fixed?

Replaced motor... Fixed worn out "park" track on replacement motor.

Replaced switch (with the correct one for my car, not the one that came with the '72 dash) so the motor did not run all the time.

Fixed relay so the motor did not run all the time.

Cleaned out nozzles and replaced hoses.

Replacement for pump (with broke off nipples) arriving Thursday. 

Now that everything is working...I can get to never using them again.

Next is the other thing I'll never use, the heater box.

What did you use to lube everything?

Ryan

'75 Pastellblau "ol blue"

I cleaned up a couple messes I'd made.

The other day I changed the orientation of a hose clamp, to put the adjuster on the underside... because it looks cleaner that way.  It made quite a mess, when that fitting sprung a leak, as a result of the change.

810418673_002(800x600).jpg.0412ea953eb2380afe7b49b8efa00dc4.jpg

I learned that the blue BMW coolant leaves a chalky residue wherever it's been and then dried out.  It is very informative if you are trying to pinpoint a leak, but also very messy to clean up.

The clamp on that fitting was crappy, with a bump in the band under the mechanism; which led to problems when re-positioned on the old hose.  The nipple also had some sort of old buildup

1485246694_016(800x544).jpg.7a4eb8048f44a5caa26d8210f07ce882.jpg

I moved the fuel pump out of the way and put a small cork in the end to keep dust out, then sanded it with a strip of 80 grit paper.  Thankfully it was in good shape under the crud.

1518678218_018(800x551).jpg.22f9a2b3d9cbb66325ae2da55bc82933.jpg790881965_017(800x600).jpg.51a822916bbebc3deb340e951a6740da.jpg

I added some non-hardening Permatex Aviation sealant to the nipple (instructions include  'for sealing hoses') and used a better clamp.

1870104306_019(800x600).jpg.99613ed0107604ada87fa2052f958789.jpg

I liked how the brown goo made the nipple slippery.  It seemed easier to gauge the tension on the clamp, by tightening some then trying to twist the hose; tighten a bit more and repeat.

To avoid adding to the coolant mess, I cut a large Zip-Lock baggie in half diagonally and snipped the tip off of the remaining corner, so I could slip it in under the fitting and funnel the coolant down into a mayo jar.

505281064_012(600x800).thumb.jpg.ab7e595c68767053c6f955960e11f0f8.jpg

It caught quite a bit, without spilling a drip and I poured that back into the radiator when I was done.

68654246_013(600x800).thumb.jpg.8838773a7962fdd99837086de2bb0d80.jpg

The other day I cleaned the timing chain tensioner (turned out it didn't really need it), but I got lazy and did not feel like going to the trouble of applying sealant to the cover's gaskets.   Of  course  it  leaked.   It was a bit more trouble taking it all apart again to add that sealant, but I am glad it was done right the  second  time... thrill-a-minute around here.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 3

Took my fuel tank to the radiator shop. Quoted me $250 to fix and ready by Thursday. Had a few tanks sitting there ready to be picked up. They looked good. For anyone else it is Kenny's Radiator Shop on Staples Mill Road in Richmond, VA. Picture taken before I soaked it in the Evaporust. It was nasty. Seeing this made me think that cars sitting for long periods of time should have something done to the tank. Don't know if I am right but there have to be other tanks out there that look like this inside......hope not.

IMG_2390[1].JPG

Took my fuel tank to the radiator shop. Quoted me $250 to fix and ready by Thursday. Had a few tanks sitting there ready to be picked up. They looked good. For anyone else it is Kenny's Radiator Shop on Staples Mill Road in Richmond, VA. Picture taken before I soaked it in the Evaporust. It was nasty. Seeing this made me think that cars sitting for long periods of time should have something done to the tank. Don't know if I am right but there have to be other tanks out there that look like this inside......hope not.

1707720906_IMG_23901.thumb.JPG.5a3415713e594a51b6950d6038924a65.JPG&key=044cf7837b051405f9c675f76b22c5f04eade65cbd90f5625754ff4e4f3afab8

Nice- are they sealing it too?

23 minutes ago, grizzlebar said:

Nice- are they sealing it too?

Patch, seal inside and out.

Patch, then seal inside and outside

I handcut a couple of tii gastank sender seals from a sheet of 3mm fuel-rated neoprene I got from Custom Gaskets.  I think my seal is leaking or the bolt holes are leaking.  Does anyone use sealant on the bolts?194766493_fuelsendergasket2.thumb.jpg.d79272cf895a48b1c7d488e26b9bf207.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Over the last couple days:

• Removed, cleaned, and re-lubricated, and replaced the grommets in both door latch mechanisms
  • Cut out new vapor barriers for the doors
  • Reinstalled door cards, handles, etc
  • Adjusted both door latches so the doors close correctly
  • Dug out and re-installed the rubber drains that go between the area of the where the heater box and wipe motor goes and the engine bay
  • Started 3m 90-ing my carpet in
  • Started laying out my center console and electronicals on the bench so I can bench test everything
  • Installed a new U-bolt to replace the broken one on the exhaust mount attached to the trans
  • Replaced fuel sender seal
  • Cut off a bit of the plastic fuel hose to use as a spacer between the rubber fuel hose and the sender nipple
Edited by flagoworld
  • Like 3

'74 Verona

My 68 over the last 6 months that as I got as a rust free shell with a bunch of parts

* Powder coated and rebuilt both sub-frames with all new rubber/poly bushings

* Installed 3.91 LSD rear

* All new E21 brakes front and back with vented rotors and master

* New carpets and re-upholster front E21 Recaros

* Relocate Battery to under back seat with cut-off switch

* Rebuilt/replaced driver door mechanisms so I can finally get in and out

*New clutch master and slave

*Bunch of Misc stuff

* Rebuilt dual Italian 45dcoe Carbs

* Re-sealed, new throw-out etc. Gertrag  245 

* Constantly looking for parts I didn't have, But have a lot of extras when I'm done

Waiting on balanced, blueprinted block from engine builder with RaceTec custom forged pistons 10:1 to go with my ported head with .292 cam. Hopefully sometime this summer I can get this thing fired up, Been like 2 steps foward, 1-back since I started cause it was in pieces and I didn't take it apart so it's been fun figuring all this out

68 02 pic.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

Waiting on balanced, blueprinted block from engine builder with RaceTec custom forged pistons 10:1 to go with my ported head with .292 cam. Hopefully sometime this summer I can get this thing fired up, Been like 2 steps foward, 1-back since I started cause it was in pieces and I didn't take it apart so it's been fun figuring all this out

68 02 pic.jpg

I feel your pain.....it sounds identical to my journey. I can tell you though it will be ALL worthwhile in the end.