• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600's the new craze?

conkitchen

Now that BAT has completed a 67 1600 for 28K, will all the trolls come out and pimp 1600's for way more than they are worth?

Who recalls about a year ago someone sold an original Ti for good money and soon there after many suspect ti's and ti parts flooded the market. 

Is the iron hot! 

But what do I know

1600s have a different level of respect than the tii's... both very desirable... but both very different...

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

6 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

I'm gonna make a tribute 1600 out of a 2002 

You have the technology.

And by that, I mean the brake ducting.

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

And at least in the US, 1600s are much more uncommon than 2002s--they were only marketed here until early 1971, and total 2002 sales in the US were about 88k, vs 12k for 1600s.

In GM lingo, the 1600 was a Pontiac Tempest; the 2002 was the GTO.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The 1600 motors spin in a lovely fashion, which makes up for their lack of power, when compared with 2.0 liter cars. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove one, a few years ago. There's also a "purity" to the early cars. Less weight, less insulation, less exterior trim, less visually balky all around, externally. Some nice "old style" interior touches in them, as well. They are all cool. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Glad I picked mine up when I did!(1985)  STILL my favorite car to drive.  Living in Watkins Glen most of my life, I have had the opportunity to see & meet many people that have an idea and understanding of sports/classic cars.  Almost to a person, they say "what a great BMW, 2002 right?".  Then I get to go into my little speech about, "no, its actually a 1600, smaller engine, some different parts, but basically the same and then tell them how to identify one by the all silver grills".  Their response has almost always been "cool, a 1600!  I've only heard of them and never seen one".   After a race weekend, I was on my way home, about 15 miles from the track, and I had someone rush up behind me & flash their lights, I knew it was a BMW by the headlights but I couldn't really figure out what they were doing.  I pulled into a gas station to fill up & these 2 guys in an e46 pull in behind me & jump out with their camera.  He was really exited & asked if he could take some pictures of it to send to his buddies to prove that he'd seen an actual 1600.  This has been happening since I have had the car!  So I think those in the know have always considered the 1600 cool.  I think it has bumped up (bandwagon) since the increased interest in 2002's and more are "discovering" that the 2002 has a pretty cool little brother! Sydney,  think about doing a 1600ti,  Someday, when I have all the money in the world & can afford to rebuild the drivetrain, I had always wanted to do the 1600 engine with the dual side drafts that the original 1600ti came with.  Thought that would be cool, but as I get older, I am wondering if I should do that or just restore the motor to stock.  Either way, the 1600 is a great (and very cool) car!  And its even more fun with your best friend as your co-pilot! 

IMG_20160625_160645744.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I purchased a 70' 1600 a few years back and drove it daily.  About 8 months ago I bought a doner Tii that was rusted out and had Terry Sayther here in Austin swap the drive-train over. Now its a sleeper 1600 that I drive all day every day.

10733839_1424010111260651_43907478918889843_o.jpg

Edited by austin1600