• Announcements

• steve k.

Introducing FAQ Memberships   04/17/2017

I would like to introduce everyone to the FAQ memberships. A fun way to fund the site and to contribute for those who are interested.    Everyone starts as a Solex Member.  This membership is free and not much visible is changing (I limited the personal message storage to 150).   Kugelfischer membership.  As a reward for your donation of $20.02 per year, you will not see any external advertisements, the site will look cleaner and run a bit faster. You will also get a couple of BMW 2002 FAQ Stickers.   Turbo Membership.  As a reward for your donation of $50.02, you will not see any external advertisements, the site will look cleaner and run a bit faster.  You will also get unlimited Personal Message storage, ability to create Private and Restricted Photo Albums. You will also get a couple of BMW 2002 FAQ Stickers and a Bottle Opener.   Alpina Membership.  As a reward for your donation of $100.02 per year, you will not see any external advertisements, the site will look cleaner and run a bit faster.  You will also get unlimited Personal Message storage, ability to create Private and Restricted Photo Albums, and an ability to upload Movies to the gallery. You will also get a couple of BMW 2002 FAQ Stickers, a Bottle Opener, and discounts on our accessories at the store.   There is also a fancy title that comes with each membership.  
Omera60

1975 BMW 2002 Restoration

Hey Everyone,

My name is Omer. I'm 20 and I live in Istanbul/Turkey. As for my 20th birthday my father got me a 1974 11 month (so 1975) 2002 to restore. He is restoring cars as hobby since I was a small child. I always adored him and wanted to learn about it. He has his own mechanics who are all specialized in their own fields. They are available to me to help but ultimately I'm the one responsible for the restoration. The car is in ok shape but I'm planing to do bare bone restoration as the car isn't in its original paint and I also don't want to have issues down the line. I'm also planing on doing some engine upgrades as I want to use the vehicle daily and I want it to be able to keep cool in traffic etc. (Istanbul has the worst 7th traffic in the world). I'm not exactly certain on what I should do but what I have in mind is;

1)Changing the radiator to aliminum or 3 layer copper

2)Changing the piston heads to a higher pressure ones

3)Having the exhaust separated to individual for each chamber

4)Putting on dual Weber carburetor

5)Having a better cooling system

Im not looking for extreme performance but I want it to be daily drive-able. With the exception of engine upgrades I want the car to be in the shape as it left the factory. I also noticed that the car has a 5 speed manual. I know that these cars had 4 speed manual as standard and you can get a Getrag 235. What I have on it seems like a E21 3 series 5 speed, I haven't confirmed it yet how ever the layout isn't the dogleg so I'm pretty confident it has been replaced through out its life. If it is indeed the E21 should I change it or keep it? Daily drive-ability is a priority but keeping it original is the goal, what's your take on this? Also the car has a pioneer radio, I want the original in it but should I get the factory BMW radio or the optional Becker etc. ?

Im happy to be part of this family :)

Also please write any tips you might have for me or things to look out for...

Best,

Omer

Here are some pictures of the car:

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.1813e9dd4186f2e9586d4b024d3889d9.JPG

IMG_1219.thumb.JPG.5ab2143bb53ab98b7694033ad49df2bf.JPG

IMG_1220.thumb.JPG.b407b17e78943e203725d6c07ef84f6f.JPG

Welcome Omer, this site has many thousands of pages on all of your chosen subjects. Your car looks like a great base for restoration upgrade. Are you planning on taking it off the road until it is finished or completing a 'rolling restoration' where you fix it up while driving?

(edited)

Thanks Simeon,

As much as I would like it to be rolling restoration it seems appropriate to take it off the road to finish it perfectly and swiftly. I have no idea what the bone structure looks like so it would be for the best to strip her down.

Edited by Omera60

Welcome!! Lots of good info on here, and lots of people (like myself) are at different stages on the same road you're thinking of.  Hang around, read and search threads, ask questions... people are pretty helpful.

If the 5 speed is working well keep it. But, if you want to be more original and have a 4... I'll happily trade you!

5 hours ago, Omera60 said:

Also please write any tips you might have for me or things to look out for.

Look out for being overly ambitious! :P

Full restoration seems to be a process that takes the car off the road for YEARS.

Drive that thing and enjoy it for a bit, before it becomes baggies full of bits and pieces.

It sure looks NICE in your photos.

Can we see some shots of the interior and under the hood... please?

2 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

Look out for being overly ambitious! :P

Full restoration seems to be a process that takes the car off the road for YEARS.

Drive that thing and enjoy it for a bit, before it becomes baggies full of bits and pieces.

It sure looks NICE in your photos.

Can we see some shots of the interior and under the hood... please?

Thanks for the heads up but I think we might be late on that :D

Sure thing, here you go:

DSC04985.thumb.JPG.8b8efce94688eff8a720e145d44451bd.JPG

DSC04987.thumb.JPG.95c4e263274356f488d5350b506c26ad.JPG

DSC05003.thumb.JPG.abba39ce4efea7d7ba8d2518431c1aa0.JPG

DSC05005.thumb.JPG.63be0bf7104da1fb5649407de054a9bd.JPG

DSC05008.thumb.JPG.7d233724c5a23322ddaa5c3c30e21687.JPG

DSC04992.thumb.JPG.50db1601c6d1f9b86a487f4358da7150.JPG

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

What is the original color?

From what BMW dig up from their archive, its Inka Orange :) 

42 minutes ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Welcome Omer!  I can assure you that Inka Orange would be a splendid color to aspire to! ;)

596d00e6118a5__-48(2)_01.JPG.4ab34bef69e8a1115daff518da9857c4.JPG_-55.thumb.jpg.3170b4fa0abd4c7cae1a4942e567a9e2.jpg

It sure seems like it. I was only looking for the orange color and to my luck, I noticed it after my dad gave me the car! :) 

• Upvote 1

i wouldn't remove a single screw from that car...i would just drive drive drive it

• Upvote 2

The tires look seriously old.

I would simply check any fuel/water etc. hoses and replace anything. Double check brakes, fuel system for contamination, change fuel filters. If car does not overheat in traffic, don't mess with it. If it does, have the radiator re-cored and put on a "tropical" fan.

Then drive it.

Don't take it apart unless there is something structurally wrong with the car. The body and engine bay looks great. I thought mine was going to take a few months and that was two years ago.

(edited)

The car is at one of the mechs now, when I asked how it looked his exact words were "we are trying to revive the dead" with a chuckle. For now I'm using the car but eventually, it has to be strip down. There are issues with oil leaks from the engine, transmission etc. breaks are not in great shape, to get something out of them you have to push the pedal to the metal which results in the brakes locking and the car sliding. 1/4 of the throttle is working, so I don't have full power but what I have is impressive for a car this age. The shock absorbers are goners, whenever the car body has some motion they squeak as hell. The fuel tank had a leak on it but the previous owner (crazy guy) welded it before he sold it to us. The car was a barn find. The owner which my dad bought from had it for 3 years and never drove it. With a car this age, it seems appropriate to do an off the road to the bone restoration to not encounter any issues down the road...

Edited by Omera60
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Omera60 said:

The car is at one of the mechs now, when I asked how it looked his exact words were "we are trying to revive the dead" with a chuckle. For now I'm using the car but eventually, it has to be strip down. There are issues with oil leaks from the engine, transmission etc. breaks are not in great shape, to get something out of them you have to push the pedal to the metal which results in the brakes locking and the car sliding. 1/4 of the throttle is working, so I don't have full power but what I have is impressive for a car this age. The shock absorbers are goners, whenever the car body has some motion they squeak as hell. The fuel tank had a leak on it but the previous owner (crazy guy) welded it before he sold it to us. The car was a barn find. The owner which my dad bought from had it for 3 years and never drove it. With a car this age, it seems appropriate to do an off the road to the bone restoration to not encounter any issues down the road...

the car looks absolutely great..based on the pics you posted...it's one thing to repair the mechanical issues but the body and interior look fantastic...in my opinion, you'd be doing an injustice to that car to tear it apart, into a bunch of body panels...this is a classic example of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

i'd get the engine, tranny, breaks and cooling fixed and drive the hell out of it...

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority!  Looks like a very nice car.  I agree with Esty--appearance-wise it looks very nice just as it is.  From the pictures it look like it's currently painted Ceylon--a metallic gold color that was current with earlier 2002s --73 and 73.  Get it running (and stopping!) reliably, new shocks, suspension bushings etc, then enjoy it.  When the paint starts to look shopworn, then do some cosmetic work.  

Speaking from experience here:  If you take it apart mechanically and then delve into the body, it may be a couple of years before you get it back together again, and you may lose interest.  Do one at a time and enjoy the car in between.

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike
  • Upvote 2