2002Scoob

Non 2002 Question- Did BMW make a camper van???

24 posts / 2609 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

A bit of context- my apartment here in Freiburg is located adjacent to some nice wooded areas, and on one of the routes I like to take to work there's often VanLife folk who park there for the night.

Last week when I was riding to work in the morning (and I forgot my phone so I couldn't take a picture) I saw one of the few things that would make me consider ditching Brunhilde for a new lady. There parked was a Tall-Cab, vintage looking BMW van that had been converted into a camper. It was silver, with a front end that was strikingly similar to a 2002 or e21. 

I really didn't think much of it other than 'holy shit thats cool! Time to start researching prices". Until I tried to research prices... and I can't find proof that such a vehicle actually exists. 

It looked factory. If it wasn't, it was very nicely done long enough ago that the patina was perfect for a late 60's or 70's BMW delivery van, if they ever made one.

Does anyone know if such a thing existed? or did I just see a Unicorn.... I want one soo badly.

The only thing I can think of is they converted a T3, it had similar proportions to one of these, but the panels were a-lot cleaner... and I know VW's, so in retrospect I'd think I would have recognized one in disguise. 

b40807b97163ea6ce8ee1bf6eda81a51--blue-high-tops-minibus.jpg.b63dc63079c6daad1a6b8e45e3de608d.jpg

Edited by 2002Scoob

Nah, it definitely wasn't that modern. It looked like it coulda existed right along side a T2 or T3 vintage. 

oh, nice, and turbine wheels too.  At first glance I thought it was a Ford Econoline conversion, or is it?

5 hours ago, KFunk said:

18p00uyi1sm6njpg.jpg

Absolutely love this but would definitely choose different wheels.

48 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Looks more like a chebby?

Chevy or GMC, and all imagination. :)  I lifted it from a comment on a jalopnik article, which laments why BMW never actually made a van (vixen is more of an RV, not a van).

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-van-that-never-was-509671357

it appears that you either imagined it scoob, mistook a vixen, or saw someone's personal creation.  In America, some weirdos make 2002s into ford panel trucks, you know.

Well, there was a one-off 2002 van...find an April 2008 BMW CCA Roundel, read the "02 Cents Worth" column about the mystery Bimmer... 

mike

12 hours ago, KFunk said:

In America, some weirdos make 2002s into ford panel trucks, you know.

Hey, I know one of those!

Have you driven a T3? If not, don't unless you're ready to buy one. They are as slow as can be but so much fun to drive!

I love my Westy as much as my 02 :)

20170626_161111.jpg