• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Pre-76 2002

Michael,

I am in the bay area looking for one as well; let me know if you find any that you don't want.  My original budget was $15-20k; but I am not having much luck.  For the right car I can stretch it further.  Did you happen to look at the Colorado Orange one in Los Gatos?

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

Has anyone looked at this one in the Bay Area? Sounds like a decent car in a good color.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1973-bmw-2002-all-original/6327408112.html

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

11 hours ago, BMWonly said:

Has anyone looked at this one in the Bay Area? Sounds like a decent car in a good color.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1973-bmw-2002-all-original/6327408112.html

If you are serious about buying an 02 you should buy this IF limited rust and good engine and transmission.  Does engine block match the Vin? I would if I didn’t have 5 cars.  Recently, bought a 71 same color with surface rust and bad interior for $6k.  Pay the guy $12k cash and start your project.  Speaking from experience!!! No affiliation and have not seen the car!  

53 minutes ago, mbausa2001 said:

If you are serious about buying an 02 you should buy this IF limited rust and good engine and transmission.  Does engine block match the Vin? I would if I didn’t have 5 cars.  Recently, bought a 71 same color with surface rust and bad interior for $6k.  Pay the guy $12k cash and start your project.  Speaking from experience!!! No affiliation and have not seen the car!  

Thanks for the advice, I will look into this one.  Is this blue an original color?

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

13 minutes ago, M5280RCR said:

Thanks for the advice, I will look into this one.  Is this blue an original color?

PS.  One concern I have, is "start your project". 

I have been of the opinion that I prefer to have someone else complete the project, and then I reap the rewards when they get tired of the car, and save myself a lot of money and heartache in the meantime.  Not that you are planning on selling your car once completed, (and assuming that you are not doing all of the work yourself), once you complete the project, if you had to, do you think you would break even or come out ahead financially?

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

16 minutes ago, M5280RCR said:

PS.  One concern I have, is "start your project". 

I have been of the opinion that I prefer to have someone else complete the project, and then I reap the rewards when they get tired of the car, and save myself a lot of money and heartache in the meantime.  Not that you are planning on selling your car once completed, (and assuming that you are not doing all of the work yourself), once you complete the project, if you had to, do you think you would break even or come out ahead financially?

This is not a money making excersie.  The rewards are in expanding your knowledge base and enjoying the process.    You’ll never brake even.  For a completely or partially restored project car search the BAT site for prices on 2002 & 2002tii.   

https://bringatrailer.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbausa2001 said:

This is not a money making excersie.  The rewards are in expanding your knowledge base and enjoying the process.    You’ll never brake even.  For a completely or partially restored project car search the BAT site for prices on 2002 & 2002tii.   

https://bringatrailer.com/

Very good points, I am not looking to make money but don't want to inadvertently purchase a $ pit.  I have been following BAT for about 6 months and have a good feel for what prices and condition are like.  If I am being honest with myself, I am a hack mechanic (oil changes, brakes and belts) - and do enjoy that kind of tinkering, and prefer driving cars Vs. working on them, or managing a rebuild project.

This said, with a range of $15-25k, I think I could find a nice driver (Roundie non Tii, or Square Tii) and not have to frustrate myself with a project

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

I purchased this 74 tii.from Southern California car (with records back about 20 years) about 1 1/2 years ago for $16.5KI did the seats, carpet, wheels, tires and front fogs. Just these simple add bolt on parts bring the car to over 21k.  The e9 I have was 28K but I now have 80k into it. Buy the best you can because fixing nothing is not cheap. 

So keep looking and get a solid car and good luck with the search.

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

• Thanks 1

Another interested buyer in the Bay Area here.  I am very familiar with E30 through F10 platforms (8-10 cars in the last few years) but new to E10.  Not concerned about it being a small to mid-size project (mechanical, even body work) but have a budget (probably up to 20-25k) for a nicer option.  I strongly prefer pre-74 cars and really like Polaris color, ideally on the west coast, but open to other locations

Edited by vlad128

• 2 weeks later...