• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Tii for sale NOW

just66horns

Price: $15000

Description:

1972 BMW 2002 Tii for sale. Red, New, interior paint stereo wideband O2 and engine. Engine is High compression and all new machine work pistons rings cam. See my other ad for more details.Car needs final assembly. Was left at my shop abandoned. I have just taken legal title and wish it a good home. Under different circumstances, I would NEVER sell this car. I am in process of final engine assembly (getting all the intake bits ready now). I plan on installing engine and 5 speed in next few months. The more I do, the more the price goes up.  Real car. VIN 2760547 Sunroof

Lee

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

14 hours ago, shermanmartinez said:

Did you do some changes to the coolant plumbing? That is not a water divider for a tii on the engine on the stand. I have tii water dividers if you need one.

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

You missed another obvious suggestive sale-

It's a 72 and does not have plastic runners or intake set up. 

But what do I know

Yes, thank you both. I know about the intake runners, and the water outlet. The intake runners are incorrect. Does any one want to swap plastic for cast? The correct water intake is around here somewhere, just misplaced it while I was doing test assembly to find all fasteners and replace all. 

If you see something wrong, I welcome your advice as I a assembling someone else's "kit". I did not take apart or store the parts so there are a few minor issues.

Lee

Oh I didn't miss it all as it is a very glaring visual and many replace the plastic runners when they see what replacement cost is and have trouble getting the runners installed/removed whereas the metal runners do not have such issues.  I was also looking at the front cover as it appears it is the later 73-74 version without the mounting ears for the alternator cast into it. The ears might have broken off of the original and the owner may have simply bought the later front cover and used the accompanying cast iron alternator mounting bracket.  I might be interested in swapping the correct 72 setup for your late setup as I have a couple of the early setups available.  shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

• 2 weeks later...

I will reply to serious buyers with full present day photos of this excellent example.  I’m putting it together for me.  If  I need to spend I will and at that time I can tell you.  I ran a restoration and construction shop, not grease monkeys. The car is getting what it needs. Last price was 16 k.  It’s going up.  

So, I have been asked about the snorkel. I was troubled at first about this. Remember, I kinda inherited this car, so there are gaps in history. It has the correct brakes in front. It has the boxed rear control arms. It has the Proper vin and ID tags, although the original color sticker was removed, when it was repainted. I was unaware that the snorkel was non-tii. Also, When someone brings you a car for restoration, he cares about its provenance. Not the guy doing the work. 

The only thing the previous owner told me was that the front end had been "pushed in" prior to the paint and bodywork. Remember, this is a 45 year old car that has been driven and used. It was legally owned by a couple in Colorado springs (that also owned a 1970 2002 according to paperwork found in the parts boxes). So, it apparently had a nose job.. Somewhere along those 45 years. I examined the front end carefully the other day and took photos. Clearly, there was an accident. But the repair was very sound, it looks to me. So, the nose was changed. I don't know why, when, or by who. I have photos of the front, and am going to get some good clear photos of the rust hole in the tire well shortly. 

The engine in this car is non original. I wish it was not, but, if any of you have a Tii block with # 2760547, I would buy it.. Wish me luck. I was told it was severely blown. Again, the person who submitted the car for repair to my shop told just a string of lies so, anything he said is suspect and I need to be careful quoting him.  It's gonna have the later style intake runners, and probably a mixed bag of injection parts. Sherman Martinez offered to help, very graciously, but, that transaction would have been as tricky as getting this setup correct.

I have secured some of the missing parts, such as an air cleaner and the missing throttle linkages. I am attempting to create a fine driver for a 2002 enthusiast, as you know these cars are as exotic as a 911, and much rarer. This car will not be a concourse car, but, it will be a great driver with a proper 5 speed and sway bars underneath. I'm planning on tuning the engine out of the car on a dyno to ensure the engine has at least OEM HP and get the tuning of the FI optimized. The fuel tank is cleaned, the trunk is being finished, the fuel lines replaced, battery relocated to rear in the rear tower brace/battery holder. Brakes are being checked and bled. 

Really, if you are interested in this car, please contact me so you can make it your own, rather than making it mine. I would be happy to provide current photos. I have already spoken with my body man about snorkel removal and its no bid deal.

Only 44,000 Tii's were built worldwide. This is a rust free example of the car that built BMW, and can be a remarkable daily driver some day very soon. I am attempting to save this vehicle. Saving it for an enthusiast, much like myself. Sad I cannot keep it.

Lee

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

On 7/19/2017 at 0:59 PM, 69NEWCLASSNH said:

Why does it have a snorkel if it's a TII ?

If you're just joking because this is the most discussed issue ever on this forum, cute!

If you're not joking, you've missed a lot of great discussion of this topic, with seemingly no end in sight.  I, personally, believe the majority of surviving '02's have had their nosepieces replaced at least once...

Three of my four "driving" '02's, for instance, have had their nosepieces replaced, even my '76, which I purchased new, not that anyone could tell unless I told them (my tii even has a replacement tii nosepiece, just by luck).  Others, some quite knowledgeable, believe a few tii's came from the factory with snorkel nosepieces.  I haven't been convinced of that view...yet: the "original owners" who swear by the originality of their tii's snorkel nosepieces seem to always turn out to be "long-term owners" rather than "original owners".  There is a difference.  And if you believe you know your car's entire history before it came into your hands, you're fooling yourself.  Unless you picked up the car at the factory and rode on the ship with it to the U.S., and in the car carriers to and from the ports, you don't really know the entire history.  I, personally, would remove the snorkel from any tii that I acquired -- just to kill the comments and allow discussion to focus on more important matters!  Others may not be as tired of the topic as I, and may choose to leave their snorkels in place.

A tii is defined by its VIN, not its lack of a snorkel. For U.S. models, if its VIN is 276xxxx or 278xxxx, it's a bona fide tii.

VIN 2760547 should be a mid-January 1972 car.  An email to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) with the VIN, and requesting their data, will get you -- free of charge and quickly -- verification of the car's "tii-ness", the actual manufacturing date, the date when legal ownership transferred from BMW AG to Hoffman Motors Corp (sole U.S. importer), and the factory color and paint code.  Nothing more, but the price is right.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I, personally, would remove the snorkel from any tii that I acquired -- just to kill the comments!  Others are not so interested in the topic, and choose to leave their snorkels in place.

Sadly, we're getting to the point where no Tiis will be legit without documentation confirming provenance.  I'd be more wary of one without a snorkel or complete records than one with a snorkel and confirmation of a nose replacement.  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged