Jump to content
dlacey

Advice on a 'garden find'

81 posts / 12697 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

(edited)

I have the differential on the bench, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the car suffered a rear axle fire back in the day. 

It's been repaired since then, but witness marks on the LSD carrier indicate that the pinion spacer collapsed and the pinion ran against the carrier doing some damage:

IMG_20190825_072238-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.a51e45c495eeba195d054fe67bd17f9c.jpg

 

The pinion must have been replaced when the damage was repaired as there's no sign of damage there, and no swarf in the case....

 

The crown wheel and pinion are the correct type, 37 teeth & 11 teeth, 3.36 - agreeing with case stamping:IMG_20190825_072306-1587x1190.thumb.jpg.d0ca2d574e84437d023df0fe3c4aa925.jpg

 

I dismantle the LSD carrier because there's no friction: I can turn the output shafts in opposite directions with ease.

 

Inside I find the clutches worn, but the eared friction disc and the 'splined' friction disc are assembled in the wrong order, here's the stack as removed, outermost at back:

IMG_20190824_123710-1190x1587.thumb.jpg.215725bb3a58713a590d3fcc0e9bc30d.jpg

(Parts 3,5,4,6,7) [both sides of the stack were in the same wrong order.]

 

If I refer to the parts diagram I see parts 4&5 are in the wrong order:

diag_fcd.png

 

As a result, part 3 - the steel ring spacer- is badly scored.

 

I have Spares for parts 4&5, it seems part 3 is available from W&N.

 

Are there any other parts I should inspect for 'special wear' caused by this previous wrong assembly of the LSD stack?

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20190904_075430-1587x1190.thumb.jpg.84e2009a179ab8a8a8d9bba5ef5c3540.jpg

 

It's on its wheels..drivetrain will be installed October.... Assuming I can fix the diff by then..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engine & gearbox are back in! We tried to do is as we thought BMW intended, fully built-up, but it turns out the 'elbow' induction pipe (with the blow-off valve) needs to be fitted after install as it doesnt clear the brake booster. Otherwise, it all went it without paint scrapes or punctured radiators. Should be ready to start it up in about a month...

 

https://youtu.be/j1s6pF9W_GY

 

rsz_g0014426.jpg.29fe1181fafeb29cf2f3f3d5dd28870e.jpg

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t have thought to do that with the radiator installed.  Nice work.  Looking forward to seeing more photos of this project.  Kinda amazing the speed with which it has come together especially for not having so many parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

All,

Here's an update on progress:

All the running gear is installed, engine is rebuilt, diff overhauled, brakes restored with new seals/hoses/pipes. Only the gearbox is untouched as it appeared to work, has only 36Kmiles & wasn't leaking. Hydraulics all bled & brakes/handbrake adjusted.

Engine bay is fully complete, per original with exception of battery relo to trunk in order to create space for AC ....and the bracket for the windscreen washer bottle..that got removed way back when the RHD conversion was done...need to make something.

A custom stainless steel exhaust has been made locally, following original route/shape as much as possible.

At the rear the fuel tank has been cut open, a band of rust cut-out & replaced and fully cleaned inside. The sender unit has been salvaged (centre rod had rusted thru), fuel pump cleaned with new 'o'rings.

Exterior is all complete with exception front/rear screens (waiting for headliner) and the waistline trim...still unsure if i should go for a vietnam-made stainless set or restore what I have. Wiring loom has be cleaned and re-wrapped, fusebox restored, relays tested.

Headlamps and front indicators I found new-old-stock in Kuala Lumpur, rear lights i bought good used parts in UK (most original plastic is sun-bleached /cracked), rear bumper cleaned-up quite fine.

 

The big news is: It starts & runs! I didn't drive it as still no steering wheel or dashboard, but I wanted to start it to check the engine/injection functioned. Engine sounded good, no unexpected noises, took a while to pickup onto all four cylinders (priming of injection lines i guess), but now starts cleanly.

 

The first half of 2020 will be interior. I have an un-cracked LHD dash from Finland, i have to devise a sympathetic AC system, carpets & seats will just be cleaned and reinstalled, doorcards need rehabilitation...lots of small jobs to make the interior right again.

 

Thanks to all here for your advice & encouragement, especially where to find the missing parts - i am very lucky to have found kugel pump, manifold, induction pipe, air filter box and other small brackets through the directions & hints you have given,

 

Have a great 2020!

Dave

 

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.