• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on a 'garden find'

dlacey

Thanks, now i understand. I think I have the proportioning valve. Most LHD parts I now have, should be fun to build up.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Progress update:

The hood/bonnet and front panel were deformed from previous (minor) accident damage... i decided to swap in another bonnet in better shape and that required unpicking the front panel to match the shape... hopefully that's done now and we can get some Polaris paint on it.

Engine: I have all parts to start assembly, it should be a straightforward build.

LHD parts: As you may recall I am restoring it to LHD...I have obtained the pedal box, brake booster and hydraulic parts, plus the subframe and a suitable steering box. I still need a dashboard, but that can wait.

I have a question about the engine mount: does anyone have a picture of the 'shock absorber' assembly on the right engine mount? I have the correct rubber mount plus the small absorber itself, but I am missing the upper bracket/mount for the shock and want to understand how that bolts to the block. (part 8 below)

turbo_engine_mount.png.bfe275820fb723c2a26056bc439a9215.png

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

• 1 month later...

All,

These last 2 weekends a I completed the re-build of the engine. Original pistons ( only 36k miles) , new bearings etc plus the replacement head and correct exhaust manifold etc.

I have a question regarding the plumbing of the injection pump, altitude compensator and blowoff valve.

Can anyone share pictures of the rubber pipe connections here ?

Where does the pipe from the blowoff valve go? 

What does the altitude compensator connect to??

I know the other water/air connections to the pump are similar in principle to the tii, which I know well... But the turbo specific pipes are difficult to figure out from the parts book diagrams... And, since the car was partly dismantled when I got it, I am in the dark on how these parts/systems fit together.

Pictures of my progress soon,

11 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Can anyone share pictures of the rubber pipe connections here ?

Where?

11 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Where does the pipe from the blowoff valve go? 

It points down toward the area between the starter and the steering box.....it does not connect to anything.

12 minutes ago, dlacey said:

What does the altitude compensator connect to??

It connects to the LOWER of the fitments on the "back" of injection pump

The UPPER fitment goes to the brake booster / plenum / vacuum line block.

Thanks for that...now it makes more sense.

So is the blowoff pipe secured to anything?? Or just dangling in space??

Any pic of that?

• 2 months later...

All,

I am currently stripping and refurbishing the running gear, I have new bushes to fit from my stash of tii parts.

Question is the colour of the running gear...what's your opinion? Heres my guess based upon what I found as I removed paint:

Sump: grey

Front subframe:?

Front antirollbar bar: black

Track control arms: grey

MacPherson struts: black

Steering rods: black

Rear subframe: grey

Rear antirollbar: black

Rear trailing arms:?

Brake back plates: black

Any factory correct pics or advice on how it should be??

Edited by dlacey

12 hours ago, dlacey said:

Sump: grey

Front subframe:?

Front antirollbar bar: black

Track control arms: grey

MacPherson struts: black

Steering rods: black

Rear subframe: grey

Rear antirollbar: black

Rear trailing arms:?

Brake back plates: black

Sump: black

Front subframe, could be black, grey, or in between black grey with green

Anti roll Bar: black

Track control arms: black

Struts: black

Rear Subframe: could be black or somewhere between black and grey with green

Rear anti roll bar: black

Rear Trailing arms: could be black or somewhere between black and grey.

Brake backing plates: on my car they are black, but sometimes they are grey.

Remember that the Black is not glossy except on later replacement parts.

• 1 month later...

IMG-20190312-WA0014-540x405.jpg.a62183a9f82449bad613e3bc5e731bde.jpg

Finally getting some Polaris on the outside, I masked the floor to retain the burn marks from the 1975 race...it will only be visible when you lift the rear seat.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, Einspritz said:

Sump: black

Front subframe, could be black, grey, or in between black grey with green

Anti roll Bar: black

Track control arms: black

Struts: black

Rear Subframe: could be black or somewhere between black and grey with green

Rear anti roll bar: black

Rear Trailing arms: could be black or somewhere between black and grey.

Brake backing plates: on my car they are black, but sometimes they are grey.

Remember that the Black is not glossy except on later replacement parts.

Although I’ve seen plenty of the “military green” subframes by now — but not as commonly as black or black-gray-green — I’ve not yet seen a square taillight car with military green subframes.  My very non-statistical tally is that the military green color was most common around 1971-72.

For a turbo, I’d want to see another military green example — not re-painted — before I’d paint any subframe military green.

I don’t believe BMW was particularly concerned about the subframe color and even the blacks seemed to vary from batch to batch.

Any ‘02 with a fully-painted underside has far exceeded the factory’s standards.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

43 minutes ago, Conserv said:

For a turbo, I’d want to see another military green example — not re-painted — before I’d paint any subframe military green.

Steve, thanks for your insight.

Precisely what I am not doing on my suspension parts save for the front lower control arms.

Just a thorough cleaning, as there are just a few small patches of surface rust and not much to worry about.

Conservation as much as possible rather than restoration for me.

Of the pantheon of Turbo serial numbered pictures I have, there are very few (or none) of the underside that are of unrestored cars.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Steve, thanks for your insight.

Precisely what I am not doing on my suspension parts save for the front lower control arms.

Just a thorough cleaning, as there are just a few small patches of surface rust and not much to worry about.

Conservation as much as possible rather than restoration for me.

Of the pantheon of Turbo serial numbered pictures I have, there are very few (or none) of the underside that are of unrestored cars.

+1

Thank you.

Sadly — and I do mean sadly — few can resist the temptation to gild the lily. I’ve seen at least two ‘02’s now — neither was a turbo — whose sincere owners were trying to convince themselves that the perfectly painted undersides — obviously the work of comprehensive prior re-painting — were simply factory aberrations, as in “Hey, Hans, let’s grab this chassis off the assembly line, paint it beautifully, and then stick it back on the assembly line!”

The number of “ground-up” restorations, particularly of turbos, increases every day. I, again sadly, predict a day when a beautifully-finished underside will be assumed to be the factory norm....?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Not to hijack the thread too much, but what are your thoughts on the OE Tectyl undercoating that was, I believe standard issue?

My wheel wells are spotty from wear, while the rest of the underside is "complete" enough, even on the REM wheel arches. Nasty stuff that the manufacturer "says" you can remove it with mineral spirits. While that may be true for fresh material, it is definitely not for 40 year old crust.

After thorough research, i was able to find the product but have not applied it yet as I am still deciding.

I will start another thread with pictures if need be.

I had the local car club around my place, so I turned the disorganised pile of parts into a schematic assembly...just like a plastic kit...

IMG_20190318_073358-1473x1145.thumb.jpg.53bec1dfca076dd9504e9ec347131841.jpg