• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New modern heat and air system for BMW 2002

442stang

On 5/17/2019 at 10:03 AM, Mario Falfan said:

@Jbaumshelter Where did you get the 710 cap?

Edited by ray_
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, Jbaumshelter said:

So if you never had A/C were are you getting this information? $4000? The kit is $1500 at most, the radiator is $300 depending on what you get and labor should be done by yourself. At most, another $1000 for labor if you can't do it. Still way under 4k. 

I'm not seeing how your coming up with your #'s. 

FYI: The kit ICE kit was $1900, a local shop that's done a few in 02's said they estimate 25 hrs. + Charging. When I looked at the DTech kit for me personally I didn't want to eliminate the factory heater and some of the required Mods looked a little tough for me. The ICEAC kit is a new Clardy so it looked easier in the instructions. Mine is blowing at 29' but every part is new and I'm using a Branded Sanden not a clone, which may have no difference at all to a clone but I figured if I was in this deep I would throw the additional $120.

Also: I already installed a new High efficiency Copper Core radiator, new water pump and lower thermostat, new silicone hoses, Radiator cowling and new fan, high amperage Tii alternator. 

Really if you fabbed up your own Console sides you could put the whole thing together in the Dtech (heater incorporated) or Clardy (OEM Heater box) style for under $600.00

59485144_2260742453974140_7145527104556236800_n.thumb.jpg.9e939f0bb3a13ed3ba1fa7db65e6f571.jpg

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

This parts supplier is about as trustworthy as sushi from a gas station

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

5 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Here are my pictures of the Dtec system. I actually really like not having the old heater box. I’ve repaired those on every 2002 that I’ve owed. It not a terrible job but I wouldn’t volunteer to do it.

409F487F-F89E-4BB5-97BC-AC15B64B776C.jpeg

E278E11E-2825-4A4C-A1DB-3DD3C54ABDAD.jpeg

I like the look! The vents sit higher than mine so maybe it cools nicer than mine. Does it get cold or cool?

I really like the Recaro seats! Is that their cup holder? Is a Sandeen  compressor?

Edited by Mario Falfan

1 hour ago, Mario Falfan said:

I like the look! The vents sit higher than mine so maybe it cools nicer than mine. Does it get cold or cool?

I really like the Recaro seats! Is that their cup holder? Is a Sandeen  compressor?

I really like the cup holder. You have to mount it in the perfect place in order not to interfere with the seat sliding back and forth. When it's open and has a cup in it, it does interfere with the glove box operation. Cheapest place to buy it is here:  https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

I don't know the brand of the compressor. It's not a Sandeen for sure. I need to contact Dtech about it because it's starting to squeak when I turn it off. Kind of troubling as it's only been in the car about 2 months with very little use. 

The cool/cold. I very happy with it. It gets pretty cold. When I first installed it, the weather here locally was pretty cold. I am going to adjust/test and adjust the freon level this week now that it has warmed up a bit and then get a digital thermometer on it and see where we land. We kind of got it going and moved on to messing around with the console install. It was a pain and I'm really not entirely happy with it. It looks great but I'm very picky about mounting it solid etc. I have some ideas to make it better and I will post my results. 

11 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

I really like the cup holder. You have to mount it in the perfect place in order not to interfere with the seat sliding back and forth. When it's open and has a cup in it, it does interfere with the glove box operation. Cheapest place to buy it is here:  https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

I don't know the brand of the compressor. It's not a Sandeen for sure. I need to contact Dtech about it because it's starting to squeak when I turn it off. Kind of troubling as it's only been in the car about 2 months with very little use. 

The cool/cold. I very happy with it. It gets pretty cold. When I first installed it, the weather here locally was pretty cold. I am going to adjust/test and adjust the freon level this week now that it has warmed up a bit and then get a digital thermometer on it and see where we land. We kind of got it going and moved on to messing around with the console install. It was a pain and I'm really not entirely happy with it. It looks great but I'm very picky about mounting it solid etc. I have some ideas to make it better and I will post my results. 

I spoke to Dtech, they just didn't inspire any confidence, and they started talking about the extra charges for the compressor bracket, console partitions and so on and so forth so I went the ICE a/c system. Considering the expense for the a/c system and labor and all NOT SURE IF I WOULD DO IT AGAIN !

• 5 months later...

I had posted an update last year on this thread. I can add to my remarks, that even though DTEC claims to be a smaller unit, it still required pounding down on  the  trans tunnel to provide additional space. I have now completed the entire install: compressor, condenser, dryer, line fittings, electric fan and switch placements.  I have not charged the system because you have to complete the wiring prior.  Due to the provided poor electrical diagram, have still to complete the final power supply wiring. In  the meantime,  I could have spent time on the phone with DTEC for clarification but I had  other 2002 projects get in the way.

2002 dash.jpg

4 hours ago, Whaledriver said:

... claims to be a smaller unit, it still required pounding down on  the  trans tunnel to provide additional space.

... but I had  other 2002 projects get in the way.

I am in agreement. I started with the AC install, and also had to pound the trans tunnel. I then decided since it's all out, might as well do carpets... then headliner... then seat covers... then a '91 m42 / 5 sp got in the way. Scope creep! Had to redo the compressor side. I should be posting updates here in a while.

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta