442stang

New modern heat and air system for BMW 2002

55 posts / 10289 viewsLast Reply

Price: $950

Description:

A fantastic way to modernize your BMW 2002 and get rid of problematic old heater box and revamped AC evaporators.   Specially engineered to fit precisely in OEM space and for center console to remain stock in size or smaller !    We have installed in several cars works famously including ability to run vents to sides of dash for better air flow.     A BIG upgrade for your BMW 2002.  Installation requires no special skills but do need to have basic AC skills to charge unit with freon.  
http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-heat-and-ac-evaporator-new-redesigned-as-modern-car/

Installed is less weight then original heater box and AC, works with existing heat / ac setup under hood or we also provide complete kit to modernize under hood AC components as well.  This kit will modernize your existing AC evaporator (Fridgking, Behr, Clarty, or aftermarket) 

http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-complete-a-c-kit/

We can offer consoles designed and covered in your  choice of leather, vinyl, stitch etc. for slight up-charge.   Based unit comes with console sides covered in black vinyl.  Can use an OEM Behr front face plate for true original look or we can provide center piece you can use to cut in your choice of radio, flasher button, controls.   We suggest using a double DIN low profile stereo / monitor like pictured 

We can also do install for you we are in Dallas TX.   We will provide phone support to assist you remotely as best we can.   

Opluzn7TARjISaM9iOBFzDXwH9QTrqBivIAmLbmCGCW5tk6p0ddh0qiTduB8Eyi41f_abt06gg1AmHbow-2a7qWN1i8EcFAuFVS7KLhAz3AYgya9nq7eRF_eozlqXBKf29VDCTs_Pqgpt7Mt4Cga0SdiaLfEtWauQIlRwF8Cb706qhaiHCPSEVpPp-YERXc1dw9LofFunfTaB2fngg4KdGRvaPNRfT9Ua_y5Vic_dG46NgZRQoLvFHkRDolMSzSKp9hMllCqHxnuXoXVWJgIkSLJo5e8tl-aXBE9cgpuRTSIVERahZcUEbHPydcIsQ53d4iTHz1Za2ZoljD1WCX6B9jX1ftzr3SeEaPSE-6F8y4tTDsFcZ0A_-l0YJYBtE2OrxuXdVGZ9aOWX6a8dreKWsM_tRwAC3EaMBGqNISXTizBIUsVCmvhsNkhV_EN-dzl6nkpbxiSfIXJozYCEH630Hosg1WraeGUMlenqX3REu8IqmgsNLV50_Wn4IEHhJY7Lx10Rn7Q14oKCKIh9_NveSGzUOt6a4e_UdDgEmenadHTnR0-UkEaTFRGzon94sYpk87TN5Yx8VwCjEVUNNd5VCzskCxnqP3YPW5ESVgSfa0CFgqsFcXNU48RESThANOgPUZk32eOu8VhkFmLecBEic9jNmWCkdk6g8hior497-c=w1266-h949-no

Pictured here with optional backup camera

aOfYVVp80Kz0A7JbBHPBsWkjgjBjdDa4n_9oUthilGy6c1Nog9mJtulVD5AHiW_5EEb6ozOJwNfBo52IQ7L3riviQ29kXEth_6iKBbxFmE9Uhnmeyt_r2bXmiaEnrPQPxhlveY3Ygg8JNC2hdhj9yBzugbP_3-E6__BWMz7R5vtCvZ3FAtsbMvkLBE2yIeruMESkgcytY7RrQby7e-2PNTzWCFYmy0o2UXMtBxzGfmd0iCFgrAwtFYOjVkl4OVt4YNBIIsVjVI_6ptI2Cs-Nml7yDbB4UIWA1-mHbDzonRZUfUBc5wHMtX79kFpopGT56HHFxxoEYj_YMwfn2nMOjDP26aYjfp9uaWobx2iV173Uy4xb1wdaiejzpvi5Ok0_BZAQTgsGouoWHr-v2-4Zu2gXixst5_O_lzyTKh6rotHmYf5g9BCfOBHjqUEEMOw8jIYwVDF5ULrpS6mH331oeQwzYPjlYBO6vreTgkGgGcy5B1z0_DSKBNPPkRp_zdhnVSurTGUK-i154mo9WoH4ggcIDeerOps1nwoJhy7jkXsvbpVL98n4qZvge5Wv7PLZBTa79pr9R4MRBINJvERPBEBICiLnDeP6-9S0rLBYlofWXI8rPsCOigZBa69Rm1SZWdVIwpA_drZeF-9Rb2jnw38PlafG-C5DxqlTGtRUHTQ=w1266-h949-no

From the photos on your site, it looks like you're using the Hurricane inside/evaporator box. I believe others on the FAQ have tried and failed to get that system to fit. Have you modified the box to fit under the stock dash/console? In what other ways does your system differ from the Hurricane setup from Old Air Products?

Thanks,

Josh

Is smaller and it replaces the original heat and AC unit.   We install these units thus know it fits

Only real limitation is a traditional deep stereo head unit will not quite fit.   We use Alpine 2 DIN stereos but also there are many low cost stereo units under $100 with full 3x5 display, blue tooth, backup camera connections, iphone android etc... so really transforms car

Let us know if we can help you.   

2 minutes ago, 442stang said:

Is smaller and it replaces the original heat and AC unit.

So you are definitively stating this is NOT the same inside unit that Old Air offers, and that it is smaller than than the Hurricane box? Just looking for clarification, thanks.

Garnet, yes, most of these A/C retrofit kits for classic cars replace the whole HVAC system (except maybe the ducting). So for our cars, we'll need to close the big hole left by the heater box with a panel of some sort.

Garnet,  Yes we cut a galvenized steel plate and screw it in place with sealant and hole is gone forever.     Notes: love engineering on original 2002's across the boar but I think Biggest design flaw in original 2002 was location of heater fan motor where water can get to it... why they all fail.    This fixes that problem forever !    Copper lines into engine bay are cut through with small access hole and sealed with similar approach and rubber grommet.

Will come to Hawaii and install for you :)   Where in Hawaii are you ?    

I find this to be a truly game changing upgrade in the overall use of 2002's.   We have installed AC and heat in 100's of 2002's.  Have now down 10 of these conversions on client build cars and have created enough of a "kit" that anyone could do.  Maybe with a bit of phone support

Let us know if we can assist

I was visiting a local aftermarket custom AC shop that sells the universal Hurricane unit and saw a smaller unit on display from the same manufacturer. I took rough measurements and it seemed to save about 2 inches width and 2 inches depth, which is a lot if you've looked under the dash on a 2002. I was told it's new and not listed on their web site for some reason. In fact, I'd done a ton of research before installing my own air conditioning and saw plenty of distributors selling the Hurricane but not that particular model. One of the neatest aspects to me was that you controlled it with an app on your phone via Bluetooth, so no analog knobs and control switches need occupy limited space inside the car.

Personally, I ended up simply using the original Frigiking evaporator and replacing the compressor, dryer, condensor, thermostat and expansion valve. Works like a charm and even with R134a it gets super cold.

(edited)

Artcop:

Yes, replacing underhood AC components and using Fridgking, Behr or Clardy unit works good.  We sell a kit just for this and importantly can provide new expansion valve and fan switches (as almost all old units need this to cool    http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-complete-a-c-kit/

Have probably done 100 or more of these units but there is always the risk of future issues as there are no replacement parts for AC evap and every once in awhile they just have issues (leaks).   You also have old very poorly designed heater box with bosch motor, valve, cables all problamatic... have fixed probably 200 of these !

Thus a 7 year on and off design effort was to make system less expensive, lighted and serviceable !  Tried Hurricane AC unit years ago and was to big.    Moreover, labor cost to dig into these systems and time are big issue and last thing you want to run into are issues with the equipment.    Thus the product and design we have really goes in smooth, works great, no contingency to worry about and all new parts easy to service

All said if you plan to update heat and air labor and parts costs it is very competitive if not less then retrofit of old system and exponentially better.   System we use has electronic controls you can literally place anywhere on dash, center console etc as no cables to mess with

http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-heat-and-ac-evaporator-new-redesigned-as-modern-car/

Edited by 442stang

Artcop

We build to order  hundreds of cars per year !   Generally cars we have in inventory are carefully selected as solid candidates for very nice builds.  We often get them updated in primer, with new engines so you can select final paint and interiors etc.   We don't care if a client buys them AS IS,  with minor work or most of our clients have us build a complete car (some very basic and many over the top resto-mods like the Orange on pictured above) with features like this engineered HVAC system .   In fact we encourage clients to do part of the build themselves and help support said effort

By no means do we believe we are only ones who can do the "right" :)

Stop by and see us sometime  can show you around 

Cheers

Jon

not taking sides with anyone but in the beginning of time, select classics did appear, based on some buyer reviews, do some shady work...what i've seen and read in recent years all seems like they are doing some good work, putting out some respectable cars

most...a lot of businesses get off with rocky starts...until someone steps up that has recently been gouged or flim flam'd i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

• Like 1

(edited)
On 6/13/2017 at 9:52 AM, eurotrash said:

C'mon,

Can we focus on this HVAC system, and not on what I -- and maybe a couple other forum members -- regard as a low point in this forum's history, a.k.a., The Piling On? Even if you disagree with 442stang's past, or business practices, or approach, or methods, or finished products, or marketing, I suspect he's seen a thing or two regarding '02's. You don't have to buy one of these HVAC systems, but let's hear more about it.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

What's sad is someone trying to keep the 2002 community cool by offering this modern heat and air system. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't but to keep bringing up old stuff is just not in good taste. I'm not defending anyone here but I don't take joy in talking trash about others. I enjoy seeing constructive stuff getting done to our beautiful cars! 

If you don't like what select classic is doing maybe it's time you pickup the phone and talk to them. I'm not sure writing old stuff over and over again is constructive for anyone.

• Like 1