• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Volvo tii Brake Booster

Gentleman, Trying to fit an Alpina / Ti style airbox to my twin DCOEs. Need to find out if anyone successful used a volvo 1800 es brake booster to replace their tii booster. Tried the search but no confirmation, looking to find out does it work?? Can still purchase a volvo boosters or will need to go tii used. Best I've found so far by search is a post to Delia... Thanks

Delia,

The injected (D-Jet) 1800 (E&ES) use the same booster as the Tii. At least the booster in my 72 ES appears to be the same. The ATE number off the booster is 3.6127-0201.4.

Earl Myers

fullsize_33833.jpg

Edited by GirtAllerton

Delia is correct that the form factor is the same for both boosters.  The difference is the way the booster connects to the brake linkage (ti/tii on the left, 1800es on the right).  To make the 1800es booster work you have to cut and weld the fitting from an '02 booster to the end of the push rod.  The fitting is the same on all '02s for this kind of booster so a regular "short" booster fitting would work.

The booster you provide a link to is not the same form factor as the 1800es original.  Though, if the dimensions were close enough, it might work.  Unfortunately, you would still have to replace the push rod fitting.

And, as with all used boosters,  it is a crap shoot to find a good one.

20170601_114225.jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Just curious. Can you open them up and swap the pushrod? If so then maybe some enterprising person (Ireland?!?) can buy new Volvo boosters and do the mod and sell us BMW guys new ones with the correct push rod. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

It would seem that the rods are swap-able as both of the units' dimensions in my pic are exactly the same.  I can't address the usability or the other linked unit.  However,  even if you could swap the push rods you would lose one patient during the transplant.  Which seems counter-productive.  I do know that the push rod from the standard short '02 booster will not work as the t51 has dual diaphragms and the short one doesn't.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

Ok after talking with IPD Volvo looks like this replacement booster is smaller than the original which is good. Jumping in to see what we get. Will post measurements, the steps and our success or failure. Anyone have an old booster linkage push rod to spare? Base booster rod ok. I hate to cut a good one up. Will cover shipping and a few for your time... Thanks

Edited by GirtAllerton

Epic fail on finding a replacement booster. IPD Volvo's P1800 replacement booster arrived today. Nice looking Unit. But.... First the 1/4 metal plates on both ends are to modify the booster for correct bolt spacing for mounting to the bracket and as an adapter for the master cylinder. Although listed as 2 1/2" bolt spacing for master it was actually closer to 3"+. Plate could be modified to accept ours but no reason to. The booster is 7" at its max diameter. So it buys us no additional space. Looks like I'll be buying and cleaning up a used tii booster from a friend near by. Was hoping to just find a new unit and never have to worry about it failing in near future. But where is the fun in that? So much for that anticipated "bling" under hood with the cad plated gold finish. :)

Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one.  You have to try right?  I mean, we '02 owners are already scrounging, improvising, fabricating, ... (lying, stealing, cheating) to keep our rides on the road.  It's only going to get more exciting!

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

15 minutes ago, burndog said:

There is another booster only option for 295.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats that?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com