• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

2002#3

Hi

the 4 inch rim was a mistake. the smallest recomended rim size should be 4.5 inch for a 175/70R13 tyres it will be fixed soon

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn36/175-70vr13-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

However i would suggest that these are rim recomendations. I don't think they are legally binding unless anyone can tell me different. Ferrari used to sell tyhres at the factory gate fitting tyres to rims that were much wider than they were recomended to.

However i think the consquences of an overly wide wheel rim are not as bad as that of a under sized rim. thin rims on cars with wide tyres is going the wrong way, it will make for a nervous drive as the unstable tyre is able to flop from side to side. making the car wander unpredictably.

• Like 1

The German TUV has locally binding regulations, but I think the tire manufacturer recommendations are probably not...they might see liability differently if improper use is demonstrated. I have a set of the 165 xas tires on 5.5 inch trims, they do look a little lost on the rims and in the wheelwells, but work great. Will put another set of 185's on my second rims, but haven't decided whether to take the cn36 or one of the track day tires in that size...but won't do that this summer. Currently spoiled for choices on 185/70 13.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

What do people think about a 185/70 R13 on a 6x13" rim?  A little bit stretched ... maybe?  OK?

Not stretched. Absolutely fine. Factory fitment for factory turbos with optional alloy rims. (Standard steel rims were 5 1/2” while the optional alloys were 6”; tire size was 185/70 regardless.)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 hours ago, Lengrep said:

The Michelin Classic website specifies a min-max of 5-6 inch width wheel for their 185/70 VR 13 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funily the Michelin classic tyre book says 5-6.5 inches. then i can find anothe reference book that says 4.5 inch - 6.5 inch.

I beleive this rim recomendations are not legally binding, but they are rim dimentions at which the tyre will perform at its best.

I must admit i am not completely up to date with the German TUV. What i am pretty sure of is that the TUV would dettermin what size tyre and wheel you are allowed on your car, and if you want to fit a different size tyre than was OE you need their permission, which they would consider in relation to what size wheel was on the car.

However i hope to keep my web site accurate, and if people do spot mistakes please let me know. this rim width issue is being dealt with as i write.

20 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Currently spoiled for choices on 185/70 13.

Andrew

As far as i can see there are only 2 choices in the size 185/70R13 for fitment to a 2002. You would only fit a different tyre to these two because it were cheaper.

Michelin XDX 600x600.jpg

185-70VR13 Cinturato CN36 - FULL 600x600.jpg

Oh maybe Avon CR6ZZ if you were going racing.

Avon CR6ZZ 185 70 R13 FULL 600x600.jpg

Edited by Longstone Tyres
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Longstone Tyres said:

funily the Michelin classic tyre book says 5-6.5 inches. then i can find anothe reference book that says 4.5 inch - 6.5 inch....

And that is what I’ve long found: a broad range of rim widths, from 4.5” to 6.5”, deemed suitable for a 185/70 tire. I seriously doubt that any of these sizes are inherently un-safe with a 185/70 tire. Now if the rim width or offset causes the tire to rub or bind, that’s a whole different matter, and un-safe conditions can certainly arise from those fitment issues.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, fastricky said:

I love everything about these tires, they are even great in rain.

t

Whoooaar... they really suit both the factory Sport-paket alloys and not least the Malaga body colour.
Beautiful...  ?

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

It was a good day when Anders came to see us.

It does appear like a set up that we had that BMW/Frazer Nash 328 arrive at the same time as he was here, but it was utter coincidence. All things considered you never can tell what might arrive at Lomngstone. I have been sat in the office and had 3 Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts turn up out of the blue.

there is usually a Frazer Nash here though as i am a Certified member of the Chain Gang. here is my '20s frazer Nash going up the Vernasca Silver Flag Hill climb in Italy. the driving bit is not sped up. it is going over 100mph 

NullZwei-Cinturato-3.jpeg

• Like 3