• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrading from 6 fuse to 12 fuse

Tassie

Hi all

I'm looking at adding some more load to my 1602

It is fitted with a 6 fuse panel.  How much work is it to swap in a 12 fuse panel?

Is it straight forward?   Has anyone else done this?   Any tips?

Unless you are looking for "originality" or you have hours and hours to waste, just get one of these and hide it in the cabin somewhere:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Waterproof-Fuse-Box-Relay-Panel-distribution-Cooper-Bussmann-Off-Road-/222493112456?

I use these to add headlight, horn, fan, electric fuel pump, amp, and fog light relays to even 12 fuse cars.  Easy to install, fuses and relays are available everywhere, and you still get to keep your OEM  fuse box.   

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Never did it, but have experience with both-

the hole in the inner fender is different, so you'd have

to cut that.

You'd get 6 extra circuits- you might want to use 2 for headlights,

and maybe beef up the wires that feeds the switched and unswitched

power.  BMW used pretty average vinyl- jacket wire...

IF you wanted the 12- fuse harness, too, that would take a week,

a lot of swearing, and is still pretty unimpressive.

Like Hal, I add subpanels- but get them from period- correct cars. Mercs got

neat little add- on 2 and 4 circuit versions...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

+ 1 on adding an auxiliary fuse box or panel.  You can mount it under the dashboard, run a 10 gauge wire directly to the + terminal on the battery (fasten it to the existing 6mm bolt on the terminal) and then power all your added stuff from that source.  MUCH easier than switching from a six to twelve fuse box.  Besides, you want to avoid those high-maintenance, problematical OEM cartridge fuses.  Blade fuses are much better!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 minutes ago, Tassie said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated!  Sounds like an auxiliary unit is the go.

Any suggestions on where/how to source a 'switched' power feed?

Use one of the relays on the fuse box to switch it. Just pick up a relay could feed by splicing into something switched that passes nearby the site of your fuse box. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/