• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on these e21 Recaros

kmoy2002

I recently had a set of Recaro seats reupholstered with the correct OEM matching basketweave material as the rear bench but am now having second thoughts once I've gotten them installed. I feel they lack a certain charm the original seats had and perhaps out of place in a tii. I am unsure if this is due to the lack of patina these freshly upholstered seats have compared to the well aged look of the rest of the car/interior. The silver lining to all this is that they are most certainly more comfortable than the original seats which initially got me looking for the set.

My subjective question is, do these seats look out of place in a '02?

Njbhhja.jpg

seEUySm.jpg

KHA5UC7.jpg

eEQGWOS.jpg

B0XVSM6.jpg

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

Is this like when your wife asks 'which dress do you prefer?'

They are beautiful seats and they definitely look good in the car. You do need to acknowledge that they are a modification but one that most people would think was positive. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Well,

there is Flechtnarbe (basketweave) on the market that matches the original much better. Yours looks like what you can buy at BMW today, which is not really near to perfect. Sample pic in blue (it´s the same with black), upper is BMW today, lower is how it should be:

5915540a963e2_VergleichFlechtnarbeblau.thumb.jpg.d6cf55436903e8eb8e7b2e57fbde655e.jpg

And maybe a set of those:

5915549d3ba38_RecIdealsitzaltschwarzFlechtnarbeseitlichrea.thumb.JPG.a6186d6d299962685fc3d84fa1735730.JPG

might fit even better for a roundie. But they´re horribly expensive meanwhile and one shouldn´t be too tall with using these older Recaros.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

5 hours ago, kmoy2002 said:

My subjective question is, do these seats look out of place in a '02?

You're nuts, seats look just perfect! Then there's handful of people (like Lars) who can actually tell that they're not 100% period.

Those fog lights look out of place.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

They look fabulous... same sort of look I am trying to get to for my Polaris 72tii...
Luv the steering wheel and additional gauges .
What type of steering wheel and gauges are they?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive feedback. I certainly appreciate it. I do wish I knew about the "Flechtnarbe" vinyl Lars mentioned earlier. I referenced RealOEM and came up with the new stuff that I currently have. I thought aging and wear produced that distinctive sheen/look.

TIL, they're two different materials.

The steering wheel is a Momo Prototipo. The auxiliary gauges are VDO voltage, oil pressure and coolant temperature (from driver side to passenger).

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

the seats look great, the car looks great... the only critique I would have is the back seat needs to be redone with a pattern that matches the front...the fronts have a horizontal pattern and the rear have a vertical...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I'm going to agree here with everyone.  They look really good!  Both as just seats, and in the car.

I'm envious....

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

It's always a little jarring when I put something that looks new on, or in, my 45 year old car.  I had that feeling when I put those same Recaros in my car.  For the first six months I thought it looked strange.  I was just so used to it the other way.  

I do like the look of the stock seats - they look right.  But the Recaros are just much better seats, and really, you are eight bolts and 15 min away from putting your old ones back in.  

My Recaros are the original vinyl, and they do appear "shiny" compared to yours.  Yours actually look nicer, in my opinion.  Mine just look older, and maybe a more similar "sheen" level to the rest of the interior vinyl.  

As Rob told me after I voiced a similar apprehension after putting in the Recaros - "you'll get over it."

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Those seats look fantastic!  Congrats on finding and recovering a set of these very comfy seats.  I had a stock e21 Recaro in my tii for several years before finding the cloth ones in the car now. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

19 minutes ago, saaron said:

It's always a little jarring when I put something that looks new on, or in, my 45 year old car.  I had that feeling when I put those same Recaros in my car.  For the first six months I thought it looked strange.  I was just so used to it the other way.  

I do like the look of the stock seats - they look right.  But the Recaros are just much better seats, and really, you are eight bolts and 15 min away from putting your old ones back in.  

My Recaros are the original vinyl, and they do appear "shiny" compared to yours.  Yours actually look nicer, in my opinion.  Mine just look older, and maybe a more similar "sheen" level to the rest of the interior vinyl.  

As Rob told me after I voiced a similar apprehension after putting in the Recaros - "you'll get over it."

Scott

+1

Beautifully articulated by Scott!

e21 seats look very un-'02 to me.   But...you are 8 bolts away from the originals.  Just don't discard your car's original front seats...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)