• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to market a 72 tii?

Gordon

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

BAT sucks. 

They didn't take care of me on the sale of my e28 m5. 

At All. 

BaT sucks...How so? They didn't take care of you on your sale...Specifics? 

Weren't you the guy requesting not long ago (rightfully) that someone provide specifics to support their blanket statement that a restoration shop sucked?

Just curious...thanks!

COOP

2 hours ago, COOP said:

BaT sucks...How so? They didn't take care of you on your sale...Specifics? 

Weren't you the guy requesting not long ago (rightfully) that someone provide specifics to support their blanket statement that a restoration shop sucked?

Just curious...thanks!

COOP

Yes! Good observation, Coop.

BAT listed my car, and it took them four days to respond to multiple emails asking for an amendment to the posting, which would affect the entire auction (very important information). 4 days before I got a response. I was so frustrated that I went ahead and made a comment about the amendment I was trying to make, and contacted every bidder privately to ensure they had the new information. When BAT finally got back to me, they were not happy that I took matters into my own hands and restricted my account so I could no longer make comments or answer questions. They went as far as to remove the comment I made about the new information. To this day, my account is restricted.

On day 4, I had asked to pull the auction and that I no longer intended to proceed with BAT. They backpedaled and tried to make it up to me but I had already made my decision, and once again contacted all interested parties to inform them that the car will longer be sold on BAT, regardless of where the bidding ended.

BAT did not take care of me on this car. For a professional website providing a professional service - no part of the auction felt professional. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

12 hours ago, dang said:

... A quick silver paint job on the wheels might give it a more original feel.

+1

My thought as well!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I sold my E36 M3 Sedan on BAT. Besides pressuring me to lower my reserve (I didn't) they were fine. The comments were almost all positive, I was very upfront about what was wrong with the car (barely anything) and it sold. Should have gotten more, but the market spoke and it is what it is.

The one thing I wish was that payment process/pickup details should be more uniform. 

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

Yes! Good observation, Coop.

BAT listed my car, and it took them four days to respond to multiple emails asking for an amendment to the posting, which would affect the entire auction (very important information). 4 days before I got a response. I was so frustrated that I went ahead and made a comment about the amendment I was trying to make, and contacted every bidder privately to ensure they had the new information. When BAT finally got back to me, they were not happy that I took matters into my own hands and restricted my account so I could no longer make comments or answer questions. They went as far as to remove the comment I made about the new information. To this day, my account is restricted.

On day 4, I had asked to pull the auction and that I no longer intended to proceed with BAT. They backpedaled and tried to make it up to me but I had already made my decision, and once again contacted all interested parties to inform them that the car will longer be sold on BAT, regardless of where the bidding ended.

BAT did not take care of me on this car. For a professional website providing a professional service - no part of the auction felt professional. 

Not cool! Thanks for sharing danco.

COOP

Yup, that's a good ad, except that the car really should've been put on a lift and the undercarriage photographed far more thoroughly than just the crouch-down pics.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

On 5/11/2017 at 3:29 AM, Gordon said:

It's an unmolested, unrestored sunroof tii that's always garaged. It still has the original steel wheels and hubaps.

IMHO if the above is true...$30K firm, as is.  $45k with a perfect new paint job in original color and minor fixes.  Not a penny less.  List it wherever with a reserve of $30k and don't follow the auction.  What I'm reading is that it might piss you off to read comments and criticisms.  Who cares as long as you get what the car is worth.  You might be surprised that the auction goes over $30k.

Does that work?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

18 hours ago, Ensign said:

Here's one to follow on ebay (not mine and no affiliation):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172670501568?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The crappy paint job turned me off:  1.) orangepeel; 2.) masking -- look at the front heater plenum and firewall area.  They didn't bother to mask the plenum, letting overspray go randomly over the wiper motor, etc., over-painting plated screws and some parts of the hood hold-down bar -- com'on, this is a very visible area, how are you dealing with less-exposed areas?  The underhood labels are replacements, so don't call them originals, and the "2002 expert" that installed those gray vinyl strips in the trunk never saw a 2002 before.  So...despite the beautiful and largely original interior, I'm left wondering what this brand-spanking-new paint job is hiding.

If it's really a documented 35,000-mile car -- I hope they don't consider mileage on a title or registration alone to be "documentation," as it's not (my 1961 Ford F-350 shows 51,000 miles on its registration, but other records reveal [it's been family-business owned since new] the truck already passed 78,000 miles in 1977, and it continued in regular use until 2001.  Hmm!) -- how bad could the original paint have been?  Get the original paint detailed -- best efforts -- and market the car as an amazing survivor.  Let a buyer determine what needs to be done, rather than imposing a cheap paint job on what is, arguably, a 35,000-mile car.

(And, yes, it's a snorkel car, which neither shocks nor bothers me.  But I'd cut that thing out!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, thehackmechanic said:

Yup, that's a good ad, except that the car really should've been put on a lift and the undercarriage photographed far more thoroughly than just the crouch-down pics.

+1

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii