• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Board options for First Generation NK's - Dash cap or Custom aluminum dash

The interior on my 67 TiLux is the next big thing to tackle, of course my dash is badly cracked, I have the first series flat dash.

Last weekend at the Bay Area 02 show i talked with Forrest Koogle regarding making an Aluminum dash. He is a custom fabricator artist in the Santa Rosa Area.

http://www.kooglewerks.com/new-products-1/         See the parts that he is all ready making. He is open to expanding his product line. so keep the ideas coming.

We would need minimum 4 people ( dashboards ) to get the project going. I currently have 3, ( myself, Danial Echeverri , Rich Jones) 

not sure of final product, anodized, Powder coated, crinkle coat or vinyl . Would you want the speaker hole on top or just one piece ?  any changes ? additions/ Handle area ?

Any Ideas solutions or other options welcome. Obviously in the early planning stages.

I was interested in a solution that would not crack again in our Northern California sun. 

Cost depends on how many people would be interested and How difficult it turns out to design and manufacture. He guesstimated for 4 it would end up in the $400 to $600 each range.  But obviously i am very reluctant to quote a specific cost ( actually nervous quoting the range) This would be a well made, well fitting custom dashboard.

here is some more info from his web site    http://www.kooglewerks.com/new-products-1/special-project-fee

Also from his website- "Q: I've got a (insert obscure vehicle here) and would like you to make a (wing/lip/trim/thing) A: Unless you are requesting a part that I already have plans to make, for a particular vehicle I already have access to, chances are you are in the 'special project' realm. some requests I can do, like "add brake duct holes" or "make it longer/shorter"...some projects require far more time and development. To accurately make a well designed and well fitting part, I need a prototyping model. (a clean, unmodified example that has not had extensive prior bodywork/repairs) It does not need to be YOUR car, but it does need to be the same year/model, delivered to me (in Santa Rosa Ca. , one hour drive north of SF) for a duration of a week or more, depending on scope of project. Expect a special project part to cost at least 2x + more than one of my 'Production' parts."

I could get my car down there, but need to have a decent crack free dash for him to design from. ( yes i get that that is asking a lot) Rich Jones may have one in his attic.

So am I crazy ??? or does this sound like something others would be interested in ? any better ideas or ways to get a decent looking dash board that won't crack again ?

Thanks-  Joseph

Edited by jmon0261

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

There are a few options for replacing/restoring dashboards and dash/interior components, depending upon the shape/complexity and desired end result. Maybe it is smarter/cost effective to make a fiberglass mold and make a replacement cap, foam and vinyl wrapped, perhaps thermoformed ABS plastic is the ticket....I cannot say without further investigation and feedback/input from owners... So thank you Joseph for starting the conversation...and again, I do not know the best solution but if there is ample interest, we have he technology. 

-Forrest 

4 hours ago, Forrest_KoogleWerks said:

There are a few options for replacing/restoring dashboards and dash/interior components, depending upon the shape/complexity and desired end result. Maybe it is smarter/cost effective to make a fiberglass mold and make a replacement cap, foam and vinyl wrapped, perhaps thermoformed ABS plastic is the ticket....I cannot say without further investigation and feedback/input from owners... So thank you Joseph for starting the conversation...and again, I do not know the best solution but if there is ample interest, we have he technology. 

-Forrest 

Thanks Forrest -  I will get my car and a dash down to you sometime this summer so we can continue the process. 

Hopefully others will get on board so we can help make this a reality !

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152