• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Alpina 2002. Looking for info. Pics included!

OhhToo

Can anyone give me some info on this car or where I can find some more about it? The more I looked at it the more curious I got about its history. The owner is curious as well. He has one document from Bmw with the options including a part that says Alpina.  Any Alpina experts out there that can give me some info?

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Unless the document has the VIN, that does NOT look like it ever came out of the Alpina works.  Someone modified it to be as it is.  They went a little overboard adding the edge trim..

Hmm, the spark plug markings indicate # 4 wire is going to # 3 cylinder.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm certainly not an Alpina expert, but I don't see much here that screams Alpina -- maybe the air filter housing.  The fact that it's a U.S.-spec car -- manufactured perhaps April or May-ish 1969 -- means its chances of ever having visited Bovensiepen are extremely slender.  I'd be curious to see the document showing the car's options?  Is this a period document, i.e., ca. 1969, or is it simply a re-counting of what a more recent owner has done to the car?

The chance of the two Alpina badges shown -- one on the C pillar, the other on the valve cover -- being added in 1969 is...nil.

The best all-around VIN decoder for '02's is operated by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia.  It's consistently accurate but provides a wide range of months for the manufacturing date -- as opposed to a month or the actual day.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#

I used my VIN cheat-sheet to extrapolate the April or May-ish date I mentioned above.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This is excellent!

So the car was being shipped from Bremen, Germany to Baltimore, Maryland in August 1969.  The document is an agreement between an independent shipper, Schenker & Co. GmbH, having no clear relationship to BMW, and the car's owner.  The owner, John Pritt, delivered the car to the shipping agent on August 25, 1969, with 3,580 miles on the odometer.  I'd guess that he might have taken delivery of the car earlier in 1969 in Europe and was shipping it home in August.  It could be a Hoffman import or it could have been a European delivery by a small number of agencies -- other than Hoffman -- that were permitted to sell U.S.-spec (and, ultimately, U.S.-bound) cars to U.S. servicemen and certain other U.S. government employees stationed/employed in Europe.

And its check-in inventory lists two Alpina accessories, best understood by someone who actually reads German.  I'd guess that, since the owner likely drove the car more than 3,500 miles in Europe, he added some accessories.

An email with the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com), requesting their data on the car, will reveal the car's actual manufacturing date (I just extrapolated to get my April or May-ish 1969 guess), original color (the shipping documents seem to say silber: silver, i.e., Polaris metallic), and...the importer (Hoffman or other).

OK.  Who can read those inventory line items?  Is the second item Alpina leichtmetallfelge: Alpina light alloy rims?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

2 minutes ago, OhhToo said:

It definitely looks like leightmetallfelge to me. I've been searching what the other words look like and haven't found anything yet. So do you think these were alpina parts on a normal 2002?

Yes, any one could buy and install Alpina parts such as alloy rims.  It's quite different from an Alpina-built-and-tuned engine.

Regards,

Steve

9 minutes ago, Andersson said:

Looks like:

Alpina anlage

Alpina Leichtmetallreifen 

Antenne

Yes! Alpinaanlage means Webers, Leichtmetallreifen is a bit stupid. Better is Leichtmetallfelgen - Alloy rims not alloy tyres;-) and a antenna. Nothing special but cool anyway to have the history!

Unhappy is relative. If he paid a lot for it (or planned to make a kill on a sale) due the three lines of hand scribble, that would be too bad (for him). As a nostalgia buff, find it great, like the delivery stickers on the window and with the right car would increase its value. But unless its a typewritten invoice from Alpina with the chassis number and verifiable history you should not pay more for it. Adding a few Alpina bits and bobs may add a nice touch but not necessarily add value.

Andersson's and WHS's reading looks right, why the wheels are misstated in German in not clear, you can also see that one spare wheel is mentioned, no hubcaps so I guess they were alloys of some sort. Alpina re-sold alloys from other manufacturers as well, like Cosmic's, so not everything they had in their catalog was their own.

"Anlage" literally means system, usually I guess it would be an induction system but as well could be an exhaust or both in this context. No radio is mentioned, so odd that an antenna would be listed...but who knows... The registration number corresponds to a German tax plate (usually oval) as issued up to 1988, which had 3 digits, then a Z and then four digits. These were put on vehicles temporarily operated in Germany or vehicles acquired for export....I googled it as I was about to say that the registration number did not fit the german plate sequences, but the special tax plate corresponds to what is listed (Ausfuhrkennzeichen).

Regards,

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight