• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 turn signal question

cpolyak

Turn signals are acting up - slight pressure needs to be applied to the stalk to get them to blink. I was going to pull the switch, clean it, and see if I can make any adjustment. In looking at the unit, I'm curious if it might be installed on the wrong side? 

I have a 73tii, very late model-year production, and thought that through 73 the turn-signal/wiper/washer stalk was on right side. My car has it on left. Furthermore, the icon for wipers appears to be upside down. Now, if I can in fact swap it to the other side (right side), the movement would be reversed, such that pushing it up would signal a left turn, I believe. The current configuration of my car is: left stalk push up/down for blinkers, push end to turn on wipers, pull towards driver to energize windshield washer pump; right stalk controls high beams only. 

So my questions:

1. Based on this photo, does the stalk appear to be upside-down?

2. On pre-73 cars with turn signal stalk on right side, does upward movement indicate left or right turn?

IMG_0772.JPG

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

23 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

On my '72, the stalk is on the right hand side.  Upward movement indicates left turn.

This.

Someone has moved the TS lever stalk to the "other" side of the column.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Here is the original TS/wiper switch lever on my 73

pics11709010.jpg

Here is what the graphics look like you get when you order a new assembly from BMW  # 61 31 1 352 636

Levi's jeans not included in the package

pics11709012.jpg

pics11709014.jpg

pics11709013.jpg

Jim Gerock

One thing to check is the clearance between the TS "pin" and the cancellation hub tab on the steering column. The factory manual shows the installation and adjustment.  You must have the steering wheel mounted on the column to check this adjustment.  I removed the upper and lower column covers to make this adjustment.

pics11709023.jpg

Here is the cancellation tab pressed onto the back of my steering wheel hub (a MOMO).

pics11709026.jpg

Jim Gerock

A turn signal that fails to cancel is a problem with either the little "finger" on the back of the steering wheel being mis-positioned, or a worn/broken/misadjusted corresponding "finger" on the turn signal assembly itself.  However... 

Once you have your 73's turn signal assembly mounted correctly on the right side, and then if it still won't stay in the "on" position when you select either left or right, drop me a PM.  I did a column on how to repair this problem, and save having to buy an expensive T/S-wiper switch assembly.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I have time later this week, I'll tear into the column area and swap the stalks/wiring around. Hopefully that will fix the issue with them staying on but if not, I'll report back. Thank you all! 

Someone was an early 2002 owner and wanted the turn signal switch on your '73 mounted on the right side of the steering column.  The Wiper switch you have was never used on a BMW with the turn signal switch on the right side. This is someone's home modification. Your car should have the turn signal switch on the Left side ( if you want it to be original). I always get it wrong a few times when I jump between the '70 and the '74. Only really noticeable when I turn on the wipers when I try to turn left in the '74

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Swapping turn stalk to right side of steering column did the trick. Now on correct side for '73. Signals stay on/cancel on demand. Thanks all. 

4 hours ago, cpolyak said:

Swapping turn stalk to right side of steering column did the trick. Now on correct side for '73. Signals stay on/cancel on demand. Thanks all. 

But was the cancellation ring TAB on the right or the left of the steering wheel hub?

anyhoo- glad you got it fixed.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

• 2 years later...

I have a '73 2002 with the factory turn signal assembly correctly on the right side of the steering wheel, however, I find this odd since all the rest of the cars I drive have the signal arm on the left side of the steering wheel. I am wondering if I can grab a switch from a right-hand drive euro 2002 and put it on my left-hand drive US car to achieve a left-side turn signal arm that is still somewhat "original equipment". At first thought this seemed simple but then I wonder if Euro 2002's had the arm on the right or left? Also the turn signal cancelling nub may not hit the stalk correctly. So should I just suck it up and deal with it on the right, or are there any "good" options to moving it to the left side?

10 hours ago, JeffreyRoss said:

So should I just suck it up and deal with it on the right, or are there any "good" options to moving it to the left side?

My vote?

Suck it up!

It was a distraction for the first 500 miles, because every other car had it on the left, even in 1973! Then I forgot about it completely and it never bothered me again.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)