• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

won't start

Hi Guys.

I have a 75 Turbo (or titled as a 75 probably a 74).  Not mint, nice patina haha.  bought it last year.  Finally getting around to playing with it. 

I brought it home from storage at a friends place and it was running rough, but always started.  I moved it off the trailer and it died, and that was it

After dad and I messed with it for a day, it fired up once! Then never again, not even a little sputter.

I do have spark, and I do have fuel, so I am thinking it might be timing related.

I lined up the marks on the front of the motor/crank pulley, and pointed the rotor to plug #1 on the cap, even pulled the valve cover to verify that the valves where closed on the #1 cylinder.  But it still kind of seems like the timing is off?

Now going back to fuel, it seems as though I don't have that fuel smell after a lot of cranking like it used too.  I am wondering if the mechanical fuel pump is acting up?

The points really could be changed, and I would like to change the wires too.  I ordered from RockAuto as they had a listing for both parts for a turbo, both parts wrong :(  BMW has the wires backordered, so is there somewhere else I can order from?

I did order a new BMW coil, 33 in stock locally lol, so I guess it is shared with more common models.

Does anyone have a link to a service manual?  Or any suggestions?   Pic of the offender attached!

I am close to just giving up and selling it not running lol I have other cars I want to get onto

IMG_0848.JPG

Edited by zc911
ooops

Hi,

what is a non running turbo selling for.

you can let me know thru the forum mail.

your problem sounds like the mechanical belt

for the pump has failed. i have replaced five of

these for tii owners in the last year. 5 cars.

the belt is under the upper plastic front cover

that is held on by 4 10mm head bolts. turn them

out very slowly so as to not break them. spray

any kind of penetrate just around them while

you are loosening them.  the belt is timed to the

crankshaft just like a regular tii. you can call me

if you would like some over the phone help.

215 five two zero six718

let me know what happens.

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

How much for the non-running turbo? ;-)

You could pull the fuel line at the cold start valve and check for fuel. But the pumps are loud. You should be ale to hear it running -- it's under the tank. Also fuel is at 40psi there, so you could make a mess, or a fire in a hurry. 

A turbo 2002 is just a tii which accepts a bit more air ;-)

Poke around here for some edification, if you like

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/tag/troubleshooting

And listen to stone; he knows his stuff :)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I agree with Stone,  if it ran and suddenly stopped, and you have not changed the plug wires or cap then that probably is not the issue.  There is a very good chance that the injection pump belt has broken.  Pull the cover and have a look.  BTW the fuel pressure should be 27psi / 1.8 bar

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

THANK YOU GUYS!  I really appreciate it   I will check the belt on the weekend and see if that's it.  I will report back!

oh and yes I can hear the pump in the tank running

Edited by zc911

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys, update

Injection pump belt is in place, and looks good.

Changed the coil with an OEM BMW coil.

It started, 2 times

How did we get it to start? By pulling the coil wire out of the coil about half an inch and just letting it ark from the wire to the coil.  That was start #1

We then clicked on the coil wire and it kept running.  I shut it off

Baffled, i said "What happens if i try to start it again?" (coil wire fully clicked in place)

Cranked and it started, that was start #2

"So do you think we can get 3 out of it?"

Turned the key- crank no start.  And that was that.

What the hell!

If anyone could recommend someone near Toronto Ontario that knows these cars, i am tossing in the towel, and i'll tow the car.

The thought of setting it on fire and posting the video to youtube also crossed my mind.  i was wondering how many hits i would need to get to make my money back (just kidding i won't do this)

Edited by zc911

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=2291-EUR-05-1974-114-BMW-2002turbo&mg=12&sg=05&diagId=12_0997&q=12111354496

https://blunttech.com/products/3079375

The opening for the condenser wire in the distributor may be round rather than square now. I have in the past used the old condenser wire there, with a butt connector to the new condenser...

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.