• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can black vinyl seats be dyed blue?

My back seat and door cards are blue, but my front replacements seats are black. I ended up switching the drivers side w/ the passenger side since the drivers seat horse hair was pretty compressed.  The original passenger seat is pretty good. Not sure what model they actually are taken from,  but they are not original 02 seats for my 75.  Anyway, I wonder if it possible to dye old black vinyl seats to blue? Seems pretty unlikely but what do I know. Anybody tried it?

DSC_3844.JPG

yes...absolutely you can

can a black car be painted blue...does it have to be painted white before painting it blue...just because they are black doesn't mean that you can't dye them any other color your heart desires...from black to lighter colors will require more coats to cover

you can dye any color any color...

the dye queen 

clean it well with your favorite cleaner, rinse it good, final wipe with a rag moist with lacquer thinner...spray as many light coats as needed to cover old color...DO NOT use vinyl dye on really humid days or when raining...it gets a cloudy, really flat, whitish appearance but can be re-coated when things dry up

get in the grain of the vinyl and around the welting with a small bristle brush

I've only used SEM products, and have never done an entire interior, but they have some great products - available at auto body supply stores & online.

Prep/cleaners: https://www.semproducts.com/prep-and-clean-prep-products

Spray dye: https://www.semproducts.com/aerospace-refinish/color-coattm-aerosols

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Those are e21 front seats, introduced...spring 1975 on the European e21.  Their frames and hardware are identical to '75-'76 2002 seats, but they wear covers with a slightly different pleat pattern.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)