• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TI's are everywhere

I was going to name this thread "How rare are ti's actually?" but then I thought the better of it. There are less real ones than tributes, but if you look at the all-time list of low volume 02's, they seem to be close to the top but you always find them in interesting places. You can't find them for sale however, excluding a few that have been overrestored in the last few years and offered for $80-100k. You can be skeptical about some of the barn finds and restoration objects because you can't tell what they are or what will become of them... and sometimes even something that started life with a ti VIN number has a difficult time showing its roots.

If you look around the internet, you see lot's of TI's distributed across essentially all continents ... perhaps even Great Britain (or Little Britain as it will be known after Brexit) and Australia might hide a few....There seem to be quite a few still racing in Europe as well in various series in various countries.

Why I was writing? Well a friend of mine from the Latvian Youngtimer scene went on a roadtrip with a group of others to participate in the Polish Youngtimer scene season opener in Warsaw last weekend. Yes, Warsaw Poland. So what did he find there? Not just one but two 2002TI's, both of which look to be the real deal. There were no other 02's there, so that makes a "TI" common in Poland? Just to damp your enthusiasm, there actually are quite a few 02's in Poland, even on the homepage of the Polish Youngtimer club you see a turbo-look 02 selling some apparel (see http://youngtimerwarsaw.com/artykuly/). You can also see that the company that prepared the racing ti, has prepared a number of 02 with varying degrees of originality (look in their website, they have a gallery).

Regards,

Andrew

ti racer.jpg

ti racer 2.jpg

both tis.jpg

ti stock rear.jpg

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I really don't know this answer---didn't all early 2002ti's  have red center tail lights ??  Or were the last ones made during the change to amber centers?

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi,

Mine is a '71, it also has amber lights...but I believe that that is standard for euro-spec. I know that this will not be a big hit in the anglo-saxon space, but there was a profile of the 2002 published in 2015 with the title "Young Classics Band 3 BMW 02" (ISBN 978-3-7688-3519-0 published by Delius Klasing Verlag GmbH). I think its still available on the German amazon. It covers the usual stuff like purchasing, tuning, etc. But, it has a lot of color pictures of various models, including a 1600ti, a few 1600 convertibles, as well as post 71 models, touring models, which even the BMW profile has all in B&W. All but one are clearly carrying amber tail directional indicators. In each case where the assembly is shown alone, its always amber... I have a whole box of rear indicator assemblies from various age TI's (I believe I have parts from three scrapped TI's), none have red centers. I can't say I have followed the differences in front indicators or rear indicators as all the parts that came with mine were identical (i.e. same market).

Regards,

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

as far as I know, all ti´s were LHD, so there was no ti delivered from stock to GB (LB) ;) with RHD.

There were some differences between the cars that were delivered in former western Europe. My ti was an italian car so it came to me in italian style with the big bumpers and the white/amber indicators in front. Here´s a picture before the car was rebuild:

DSC_0287.thumb.JPG.d00240e2e6bb2809ad7043353b1004d9.JPG

In that "trim" the car was delivered in March 1970 to Fillotrano, Italy.
I decided to rebuild it in german style because I like the small classic german bumpers and very good italian front indicators are so extremly rare and expensive...

Best regards
Carsten

On 6/8/2017 at 7:27 PM, CASI said:

Hi,

as far as I know, all ti´s were LHD, so there was no ti delivered from stock to GB (LB) with RHD.

There were some differences between the cars that were delivered in former western Europe. My ti was an italian car so it came to me in italian style with the big bumpers and the white/amber indicators in front. Here´s a picture before the car was rebuild:

DSC_0287.thumb.JPG.d00240e2e6bb2809ad7043353b1004d9.JPG

In that "trim" the car was delivered in March 1970 to Fillotrano, Italy.
I decided to rebuild it in german style because I like the small classic german bumpers and very good italian front indicators are so extremly rare and expensive...

Best regards
Carsten

Beautiful, Carsten!

I'm not familiar with the Italian "big bumpers" of 1970.  Do you have a photo?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

52 minutes ago, CASI said:

Hi Steve,

in that picture you can see the big italian bumperhorns.

In the threa "my 2002ti" you can see also before and after.

Best Regards

Carsten

Got it, Carsten!

In the U.S., we often refer to them as over-riders or bumper guards -- and in the U.S., they have been mandated on new cars since about 1967.  Of course, U.S. owners have been converting back to the original German appearance since...about 1967!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 3 months later...

Another event with 02's far off the beaten path...

We had a cars and coffee in Riga, Latvia on the 10th of September...I had my ti there, but we made a group picture with all of the 02s. In the middle is a very early 1600-2 recently imported from Sweden and apparently very original with service history. On the right was a heavily modified touring, with a later E30 6-cylinder engine and automatic transmission. The owner from Estonia had bought a wreck that was not worth restoring, so he built a cruiser.

There were a few other BMW's there, which ranged from a Baur E21 to an E34 Alpina (not in the picture).

Be well,

Andrew 

YTR-Cars-n-Coffee-2017-2-172.jpg

YTR-Cars-n-Coffee-2017-2-171.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello from Warsaw:

I happen to be the owner of the Atlantik Blau 1970 2002ti from your picture. I have the car since 1999.

There were many real ti's in Poland in the seventies, but today I know of only one more in 1600ti Turf green currently undergoing full restoration (Italian car).

The 1971 Chamonix/Blue rally car from your picture is a replica though, of the Sobiesław Zasada car.

Rgds,

Pawel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pawel,

Looks nice from the pictures. I have not made the trip to Warsaw yet, my friends have been driving down the last few years. I run mine in the events in Latvia run by youngtimerrally.lv and we have some Lithuanian, Estonians and Finns participating as well. My 71 ti is often the oldest in the field though.

Andrew