• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Renew Cv boot?

Naz

Am I supposed to bang this apart somehow to get the new boot on? Any suggestions?

It was a real treat getting those 50 year old bolts off the half shaft btw.

5dc06206b1eea56a825553343dd0e09e.jpg

ed7b836072a49abbe32182d596a37cb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on bolts but don't lose any of those needle bearings!  And don't bang the pin out, use a press to move it half way to install the boot.  Or find my article in Under Construction on how install the boot..

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

i wouldn't be playing around with the cross pin. Previous posts describe the process for coaxing the new boot over the pin. You'll need to clean up the area where the hat sits on the main housing. There is an o-ring in there, was available at one point, or get a local bearing shop to make a new one. Silicone helps too. You'll need hex head bolts. I'd go with what was OEM.

Thanks for the tips. I was able to get the O-ring through BMW Germany along with the overpriced clear boot Just waiting for the parts to arrive. I couldn't justify $12 for the hose clamp though. The standard clamps you find at Home Depot are a little to wide compared to the original. Perhaps an auto parts store will have narrow ones?

Yes, I certainly wouldn't want to lose one of those bearings. I decided to reuse the original bolts as there is nothing wrong with them and replace the lock nuts.

I will look for your article Chris.

You should be able to find narrow clamps at auto parts store. I pack the bearings and inner walls with Moly grease, then add #90 gear oil. Get the shaft clamped in a vice to put on boot. Thoroughly clean the boot mounting surfaces. I've used a shoe horn handle, or spoon to get it over the pin. Be sure to boil it first to get it soft. Pig of a job. Test your handy work by leaving it overnight on the counter to check for leaks. 

Well I got everything cleaned up and ready for the new boot. Just have to find some narrow clamps. Tempted to just take the other side off and do the same job just so it matches In cleanliness. I'm stopping my self though. We will see.

e79e4d46cfcea0741a0dc952a46ff1e2.jpg

Looks nice! I'm wondering about the overlap on the beveled edge where the hat sits, and how that will seal.

Well I have a new o-ring on the way for it anyway. Maybe I should use a little silicone as well?

Dropped the transmission and working on the the diff now. I'm just going to redo it all. What the hell

103d23809dbea6aec820d3d9a746b301.jpg

what I meant was the black coating goes in and out of the contact area. It might not be an issue, but it also might. I would have left it all bare metal. I'd use silicone on any event, and be gentle with the big clamp ring - you need to help it close while tightening the nut/bolt.

I thought you were putting in a 5 speed.

what I meant was the black coating goes in and out of the contact area. It might not be an issue, but it also might. I would have left it all bare metal. I'd use silicone on any event, and be gentle with the big clamp ring - you need to help it close while tightening the nut/bolt.

I'll have a closer look at upon assembly. I can clean it up to make sure I get a good seal. That big clamp seems fragile. Would hate to break it.

Yes, I should put a 5 speed and be done with it. I'll keep my eye out for one down the road. Going to attack some rust areas throughout the car and repaint before Engine or tranny goes back in.

Your right Hans, I just had a closer look at it and took some 1000 sandpaper to it to clean up the paint in the contact area. I'll hit later and get it done.

I'd hunt down one of those recalled bottles of Sapphire Blue Gin to help with getting the boot on.

I open the big clamp just enough to slide it along the housing and over the ridge. Then use thin washers and ideally a small hex head bolt with lock-nut to keep the weight down.

Be sure to test overnight per my suggestion above.