• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What supports the weight - e24 rear seats

Healey3000

Hi,

I should preface this by saying that I have not pulled the rear seats out of an e24 so I may be wrong in my assumptions as I ask these questions.

In the 2002, the stock rear seat supports a large proportion of the occupants' weight at the rear ledge, based on the way it fits.  Some weight is also carried by the front sheet metal, but perhaps less than the rear ledge (assumption).  When we install e24 seats in the 2002, what's carrying the weight?  Does the fiberglass shell sit on that rear ledge?  Or, is the weight entirely borne by the front sheet metal panel?  Does the seatback "hang" from the hook and take some of the weight?

Looking at the front sheet metal panel, it's not really anchored well to the floorpan and strikes me as a bit flimsy.  Am I underestimating its strength?

Thanks!

From my experience I would say 75% of the weight is carried by the front metal panel and the rest by the hook. There is a tab at the front bottom of each of my seats which I use to secure the seat to the metal panel. Seems to work great, I have had 200 lbs passengers on those seats and they are firm and don't feel like thy move at all. 

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

There is a thread(E24 Seats) that is worth searching for , it goes thru the steps necessary for this install.  Most of the alterations you need to make are to the back of the seats to allow the seat to sit properly in relation to the  inside of wheel wells. 

I too simply drilled a hole to accept a bolt for  the front brackets of these seats. I also fabricated a mounting bracket on the rear bulk head to support the back of the seat and another that I rivited to the back of the seats .( there was a gap of aprox. 1.5" once the seats were secured to the floor bulk head). 

I think most of the weight is carried across the floor bulkhead and the bottom portion  of the seat that rest on the floor. I just wanted to take out the flex of the back portion seeing as it did not have much contact with the rear bulkhead. All seems to have worked out fine. Personally had more issues with getting the hat tray to fit properly, but worked out that problem too after a lot of trail and error.

hth

Mike

edit 

Just found this photo documentation of the seats being fitted.

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/tom1234_03/library/E24%20Seats?sort=3&page=1

Edited by joysterm

Thank you both for the insight.

Mike, it sounds like you are saying that the seat does sit on that rear ledge - true?  I've seen that particular thread before but the pictures are unclear.  Does give an idea, though.

Edward, in your case they don't sit on the ledge?

7 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

....it sounds like you are saying that the seat does sit on that rear ledge - true?  I've seen that particular thread before but the pictures are unclear.  Does give an idea, though.

I did have some apprehension at first but if you take your time cutting out the sections laid out in that thread and don't go crazy in doing so you can get them to fit pretty well. I took me a few cuts to get them so the seats fit square but all in all not a bad experience. I Think they look pretty good.

IMG_0668.JPG