• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 prices ..... bring a trailer to Van Nuys ....

4 hours ago, zinz said:

We have a winner, folks. 

Tell him what he's won, Bob...

"A year's supply of Jiffy Pop Popcorn!!!"

mmmmm ?

...no safety wire, and it looks like Allen head bolts?? Not sure what they've done here?

Don't take this as a defence as I think the car is half assed. To much emphasis on what you can see and not enough for what you can't see. 

The reason why he has alternative bolts in there is because he has installed the roll spacers at the bottom of the strut. Yes, let's hope the bolts are the correct grade and let's hope they have seen the benefit of some Locktite. 

I thought the inner sidewall of that tyre looks like it has been rubbing. Not sure whether that was before or after the big scoops taken out of the firewall to help the clown tyres fit. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Wonder if the owner is here on the FAQ?  Car seems to idle better than my 69. The 292 Schrick shakes the car. The olive (oil) color almost makes me want some focaccia bread and Chianti. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 4/22/2017 at 6:38 PM, Chamonix72 said:

All that spent on aesthetics and they leave the stock gauge cluster. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Other than that, it's a nice looking build. I'd drive it.

have to agree on that one.

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

18 hours ago, jgerock said:

To all the naysayers on BaT (somehow I still cannot log onto that site after many years), car is an independent idea of the builder. Pretty low mileage after completion may indicate the seller wants to move on to another project or maximize the selling price of a fresh build. Plenty of these cars seem to be around. You can change wheels/tires easily, add carpet and other bolt ons.  

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Some will like it and some will not. 

I have to admit, it is very cool, but.. not my cup of tea. (yes, I said tea, I guess I am an old guy now.. Now "get off my lawn"!!! :D

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

13 hours ago, zinz said:

We have a winner, folks. 

Tell him what he's won, Bob...

"A year's supply of Jiffy Pop Popcorn!!!"

mmmmm ?

...no safety wire, and it looks like Allen head bolts?? Not sure what they've done here?

OMG, Jiffy Pop was AWESOME!!! Just the right amount of salty popcorn goodness and you had to keep moving the "pan"!! Who here went after the left-over salt and oily concoction at the bottom of the pan/tin when eating the last kernels??? :)

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

16 hours ago, bublinki said:

OMG, Jiffy Pop was AWESOME!!! Just the right amount of salty popcorn goodness and you had to keep moving the "pan"!! Who here went after the left-over salt and oily concoction at the bottom of the pan/tin when eating the last kernels??? :)

Do they still have this in the stores - like Walmart?  That was before Orville Redenbacher, Pop Secret and the "Power Cup".

Leaning off topic >>  When I was a sophomore in College, the dorms banned cooking especially using hot plates.  One of my suite-mates (co-ed dorm!) made an entire dinner using a hot air popcorn popper as the heat source.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

safety wire not needed....just use locktite and torque them correctly.  my 02s and M2 have never had safety wire there.

I'm surprised. I'd consider that a potential safety issue.

Do you know more that the car design engineers?

:)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'm surprised. I'd consider that a potential safety issue.

Do you know more that the car design engineers?

:)

Now if this don't set an example of where bad information starts.  

I say split the difference and use wire on half of the three bolts. 

What Would Delia Do

7 year itch.jpg

But what do I know

I'm actually on Marshall's side on this one-

IF you put those fasteners together right-

and inhex helps a LOT, or torx, or whatever-

safety wire isn't important.   The stock

fastener is badly designed, from a wiring and torque

perspective- hard to get properly tight, and the wire is

acting on a very small lever arm.  A drilled inhex would be better.

And by the time the wire is doing anything, the joint is slightly

loose already, and in the process of failing.  It's the clamping

stretch of the bolts that matters.  Not that you should NOT

wire, if you're stock...

But whatever.

This DOES mean that I should stock up

on tired drivers, sit on 'em, then restore 'em as a retirement business...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

8 minutes ago, TobyB said:

I'm actually on Marshall's side on this one-

IF you put those fasteners together right-

and inhex helps a LOT, or torx, or whatever-

safety wire isn't important.   The stock

fastener is badly designed, from a wiring and torque

perspective- hard to get properly tight, and the wire is

acting on a very small lever arm.  A drilled inhex would be better.

And by the time the wire is doing anything, the joint is slightly

loose already, and in the process of failing.  It's the clamping

stretch of the bolts that matters.  Not that you should NOT

wire, if you're stock...

But whatever.

This DOES mean that I should stock up

on tired drivers, sit on 'em, then restore 'em as a retirement business...

t

Well mebbe.

If everyone knows how to torque them right. And loctite them right.

But I'll assume they don't.

Also I'd have more piece of mind seeing the wire there.

That's physical evidence of a job done per the book, where loctite is invisible.

Unless you slather it on like i do.

;-)

Then again, maybe I should check lug nut torque before test driving other's cars. :D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've always wondered why the safety wire is so important on the steering arm to strut connection, yet the ball joint to lower control arm just has lock nuts. Seems like both points would be equally likely to fail/come loose. And on all the Chevy ball joints I've replaced, they're just bolted to the control arm, no safety wire.