• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstein Shock Absorbers Parameters?

APka

Hello everyone ! 

So after having read through a great many pages of the stance thread, I have decided to lower my car, by getting shock absorbers and springs.. From what I can tell most people use Bilstein B6, so i'm guessing that's one of the better ones to get? 

My problem, is that when searching to purchase them, I am confronted with 2 different models. The first being the 34-000236, and the second being the 34-000250... The difference? None, except for the "parameters". Let me explain

The 34-000236 has 160/75

The 34-000250 has 200/85

What are these different mesures exactly? 

Please ask me for more info as I most likely left important things out,

(Also, if you don't think these are the best choice for shock absorbers, let me know which ones are better!)

Thanks in advance,

spent like 7 mins searching this as I never recall the p/n's, and I wanted to offer correct info...........you  couldve searched as well 

your numbers appear to b sports vs HD models. The parameters as u call them seem to just be the rates....rebound and compression

depending on how low u go on the drop/springs  u will need sports to prevent bottoming out of shocks............if u dont go more than 1.5 " or so HD will be good.....it just depends on what u r doing w/ the car and how it will b used.

Billies are well liked, so are Koni shocks

Edited by jrkoupe

42 minutes ago, jrkoupe said:

spent like 7 mins searching this as I never recall the p/n's, and I wanted to offer correct info...........you  couldve searched as well 

your numbers appear to b sports vs HD models. The parameters as u call them seem to just be the rates....rebound and compression

depending on how low u go on the drop/springs  u will need sports to prevent bottoming out of shocks............if u dont go more than 1.5 " or so HD will be good.....it just depends on what u r doing w/ the car and how it will b used.

Billies are well liked, so are Koni shocks

I appreciate your time, 

I did actually find out that the difference was indeed sport vs comfort, several minutes after posting, but I left the post to get an explanation regarding the parameters...

So the 160 = the height of max rebound..?

And the 75 = the stiffness ?

Not sure what the units are but consider them against each other. The piston in the shock has two, one-way valves. The hole in the rebound direction is 160 (mm? Yards? Furlongs? Microns?) and compression is 75.  So it is a bit less than half the stiffness in one direction to the other.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

160 kg at 1m/sec (or some other metric unit of force to cause movement of some distance in one unit of time) in compression,

75 kg at 1m/sec for rebound.

The numbers, as my pompous high school physics 'profess-er' used to say, don't mean anything without units.

But it's compression and rebound rates-  you'll need to get the units from Bilschtein.

Subjectively, you can say that the second shock you posted is a bit stiffer than the first.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, TobyB said:

160 kg at 1m/sec (or some other metric unit of force to cause movement of some distance in one unit of time) in compression,

75 kg at 1m/sec for rebound.

The numbers, as my pompous high school physics 'profess-er' used to say, don't mean anything without units.

But it's compression and rebound rates-  you'll need to get the units from Bilschtein.

Subjectively, you can say that the second shock you posted is a bit stiffer than the first.

t

Thank you very much for that explanation ! 

I may end up chosing the "sport" / stiffer option, seeing as people say that they fit better with non OEM springs, and the comfort ones are better with OEM springs... Seeing as I want to lower a bit... 

Anywyay thanks everyone for the information !

At least in the US of A, the HD Bilsteins seem to be bought more by folks who want improved handling but not a really harsh ride (roads in parts of the US aren't the smoothest!).  Those how favor all-out performance or are going to track their cars prefer the sports, which are considerably harsher--at least on a 2002--than the HDs.  HDs work fine with lowering springs.  My '73 is set up with HR lowering springs and Bilstein HDs and it's great for the street, twisty back roads and periodic autocrossing.  All my suspension bushings are OEM rubber except for the sway bars.  AFAIK Bilstein doesn't make "Comfort" shocks for 2002s, just the HD and Sports.

Interestingly my E30 has Bilstein sports and lowering springs, and the ride is no harsher than the HDs on my 2002.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There's a difference between models in the Bils type designations- the E30 'sport' is a shorter shock, whereas the 2002 sport is a stiffer shock

that's the same length as the HD.  I do not know the damping rates of the E30.  This has been a confusing point since before my time...

I retract the kilograms- it'd be Newtons, since it's force, not weight.

I'm surprised the HD and Sport numbers are as similar as they are- the Sport 2002 shock is quite 'stiff', as in highly damped.  I have HDs, kicking around, I've

just never tried them...  I should, I guess, huh?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL