Fuel pump replacement issues

RipR2

Looking for some help with a mechanical fuel pump replacement. Replaced a leaky fuel pump with the same type and part. No issues with install but now it wont start. I know it will take a while to prime the system but how long should it take? The pump is a spring type not the lever. Should I have primed the pump during install? I used the search function and the tech article suggested using 2 gaskets. I used 1. Would that cause the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. RipR2.

Verify that you're getting fuel pressure at the carb... stick a fuel pressure gauge in there. Look and see that there's fuel in the inline filter right before the pump. Mine is clear. Don't know about yours. Or maybe, crank the car over a bunch, stop, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if fuel comes spewing out?

Don't think you need anything other than the black phenolic spacer. I recall mine only having the spacer, but someone else will certainly know. That wouldn't affect its pumping capabilities, though, as that's simply the action of the rod being pushed up and down by the cam & return spring.

I recently had this problem after robbing a fuel pump off of a running car to move another car in progress.  When I tightened the pump down on the studs, I must have had something misaligned and it wouldn't move any fuel.  I loosened it up, tightened it back down taking great care to insure it was straight and it worked fine.   THEN I had the same issue when I put it back onto the "good" car.  I ended up aligning the pump with the pump's pushrod and compressing the spring manually until the flange of the pump was against the surface of the spacer.  I then tightened the mounting nuts down onto the flange of the pump finger tight and then used the wrench to tighten them properly.  Voila.  Fuel pump pumping fuel.