• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finished my wheels last night

Here's some photos. I was quoted 600+ dollars to remove curb rash and polish! So I decided to give it a whirl myself.  I Couldn't get some of the pitting out and some of the deeper imperfections but I'm satisfied with how they turned out. Not bad for a set of 30+ year old wheels ?

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

Those wheels suck!

I'll trade you my E21 turbines for them.

:D

My favorite wheels, right there.

(No, not the E21 turbines).

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Those look awesome. I just started sanding on my BWA Sportstars to get rid of the curb rash and made some great progress today. Is the dewalt a random orbit? Trying to decide on paint vs polished aluminum now. Which paint did you go with?

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Nice work, H&B wheels are definitely a favorite of mine.  Lusted for a set for a long time - passed on a couple of opportunities to buy due to other "obligations".  Its interesting how they have changed the design over the years.  The wheels they are selling now have 16 spokes as opposed to yours that have 20.  It appears to me looking at other pics that they changed the spoke design as well, which can't be an inexpensive thing to do from a prototyping/molding standpoint.  No sue what barrel size you are using but if you keep your eye on ebay you may at some point be able to score replacements, they come up for sale from time to time.  It looks like at least one of yours has a pretty good ding in it.

Thank you for all the positive input guys! I've had this set for close to 3 years and finally decided to re finish them.

18 hours ago, walkinfool said:

Those look awesome. I just started sanding on my BWA Sportstars to get rid of the curb rash and made some great progress today. Is the dewalt a random orbit? Trying to decide on paint vs polished aluminum now. Which paint did you go with?

I had the centers powder coated. the color name is "gold bar gold" !

7 hours ago, markmac said:

Nice work, H&B wheels are definitely a favorite of mine.  Lusted for a set for a long time - passed on a couple of opportunities to buy due to other "obligations".  Its interesting how they have changed the design over the years.  The wheels they are selling now have 16 spokes as opposed to yours that have 20.  It appears to me looking at other pics that they changed the spoke design as well, which can't be an inexpensive thing to do from a prototyping/molding standpoint.  No sue what barrel size you are using but if you keep your eye on ebay you may at some point be able to score replacements, they come up for sale from time to time.  It looks like at least one of yours has a pretty good ding in it.

From the research I've done it seems these are Hardy&Becks e30 variant wheels, which as you noticed have more spokes and the spokes are almost "finned". Not sure when they stopped making these, There is some writing in sharpie on one of the barrels that say when the barrels were split at some time in there life, its dated June of 87' so these wheels have to be at least 30 years old.

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329