Help! - Smog equipment, new Weber carb on '71

laundromatt

Hi all, 

After several months of collecting parts, doing research, etc., I've finally started the smog equipment removal and new carb project I asked about here:

Here is the patient, before the procedure:

6.thumb.jpg.2bb6780e4ed4ff3368f74660daf384cb.jpg

Here it is with the air cleaner off:

5.thumb.jpg.66f6ad74729298e066df36ed2f963aa8.jpg

I managed to take out the old intake manifold and the single barrel carb that was already in there.  By the way, I got hit with a deluge of coolant when I took out one of the hoses to the water jacket.  I thought it would be water, but nope, it wasn't.  That was either not in any of the threads or tutorials, or I missed that part.  

Here it is with the intake manifold off:

2.thumb.jpg.6fcce747db53f6a4fd5f489617758852.jpg

Accessing the bottom row of bolts was not easy.  I used PB Blaster to help free things up.  

Now, some questions for the experts:

1.  What exactly needs to come out from here?  (See picture above.)  The other tutorials I read say to follow the blue wiring (or is it hose?) to remove all the smog equipment, but I actually don't have much blue anywhere.  I read Mark92131's desmogging tutorial for the '75-76 years, but things seem different on mine. 

2.  What is this thing, and is it smog related?

2-1.thumb.jpg.c69d1befd306afa26bbdaeeef9b7d077.jpg

3.  There is a steel line that was feeding into the old intake manifold - see the arrow below.  The new Cannon intake manifold that came with the Weber 32/36 doesn't have an opening for this.  What is this steel line for, and what should I do with it?  

2-2.thumb.jpeg.b0cd94c2a99c43802078491457d910d4.jpeg

Thanks everyone!

(More pics, in case it helps anyone...)

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by laundromatt
More pics.

It helps to know which year.  Early cars have much less smog stuff and no blue wires which were connected to dashpots  on firewall.  Remove the smog pump below the alternator, remove the pipes/egr gulp valve and the pipe to rear of exhaust manifold.  This will need to plugged ( I think the pipe goes there, can't remember). Photo 2 is your steering box!  And yes coolant runs thru bottom of manifold and to the heater.

Edited by HBChris

What kind of single barrel carb was originally on your car?  Sure doesn't look like the 38/40 Solex that normally resides there...

Also, IIRC you may need to use different diameter coolant hoses to connect your new manifold to the rest of the cooling system.  Not sure if that applies to a Cannon manifold, though.

Do you plan to modify the OEM air cleaner  to fit the Weber?  It's a better choice than the small air cleaners that are typically used with 2 barrel Webers.  Check archives for instructions on how to modify.

mike

13 hours ago, HBChris said:

It helps to know which year.  Early cars have much less smog stuff and no blue wires which were connected to dashpots  on firewall.  Remove the smog pump below the alternator, remove the pipes/egr gulp valve and the pipe to rear of exhaust manifold.  This will need to plugged ( I think the pipe goes there, can't remember). Photo 2 is your steering box!  And yes coolant runs thru bottom of manifold and to the heater.

Awesome, thanks.  Any tips on getting the smog pump out?  

10 hours ago, mike said:

What kind of single barrel carb was originally on your car?  Sure doesn't look like the 38/40 Solex that normally resides there...

Also, IIRC you may need to use different diameter coolant hoses to connect your new manifold to the rest of the cooling system.  Not sure if that applies to a Cannon manifold, though.

Do you plan to modify the OEM air cleaner  to fit the Weber?  It's a better choice than the small air cleaners that are typically used with 2 barrel Webers.  Check archives for instructions on how to modify.

mike

Yep, it's a Weber 34 ICH carb.  I'm not sure when it was put in - I'm assuming it's not original to the car.  

The existing coolant hoses will go into the same water jacket that was on the bottom of the old intake manifold, so it should fit (if I'm thinking about this correctly).  

As for the air cleaner - the one on here is for a single barrel carb, so it has a round opening on the bottom instead of the oval opening found on later air cleaners.  If I can find a nice OEM 2-barrel air cleaner, I'd like to go with that based on all the other threads out there on the subject.  

Here's a diagram for the 71, as noted you will need to remove the smog pump, and plug the EGR and Smog Pump connection on the Exhaust manifold.  In the early cars, the dip stick tube is integrated with the smog pump bracket and you need to cut it off, older cars have a pressed in dip stick tube and the smog pump bracket is separate.  I have a nice OEM air cleaner with a weber carb adaptor if you are interested, PM me.

Mark92131

71-72_2002p.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

On 4/22/2017 at 9:25 AM, HBChris said:

Smog pump unbolts from the bracket, remove bracket from block and use a cutoff wheel to cut it from oil dipstick tube if you have an early car.  Year?

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I don't want to mess with the alternator, so I'll see if it's accessible from underneath the car.

The car year is 1971, btw.  

As for the wiring, best to look at the wiring diagram and pinpoint the handful of components that are smog-related.  Once you do that, it's relatively easy to trace the wires along the firewall and pull them off as a set.  Watch out for the resistor wire for the ignition coil, though.  You may need that.

If you have all this off, may I suggest you take the opportunity to drop in a newer, smaller starter motor?