• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear vent window Grommet

mmichalik

Hi Guys,

I need some help with something that I've been chasing for a while and can't seem to find the answer. 

I had to replace the window latch on my left rear vent window a few months ago.  When I pulled the bolt out of the window, the one that connected the latch itself to the window, there was a clear grommet in that hole that basically fell apart.

I've searched on RealOEM.com for the part but can't seem to find it.  I found the gaskets marked #6 (part # 51367040572) listed on this page http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2225-USA-07-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3357

but no grommet.

So, my question is, was there ever a grommet there?  My car is a late July, 1976 production run, just in case that makes a difference.

If not, I guess it's possible that it was put in there by one of the previous owners but, I would like to get it fixed once and for all because the bouncing around of the window on that bolt drives me crazy and can't be good for the glass in the long run.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful and if I just need to put those two gaskets on there, then so be it.

Thanks,

Mike

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Of you can't find specifically what you need at Walloth-Nesch, head to the hardware store and search the nylon and rubber washers. I've had a lot of luck at Lowe's and Ace Hardware.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

8 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

I've had a lot of luck at Lowe's and Ace Hardware.

Also True Value if you don't have an Ace or Lowe's nearby.  I've found exactly that nylon washer at True Value--in white or black.  Good source for rubber washers too.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys! 

I'll hit up Lowes today and see what I can find.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Driv3r, I got a bunch of those from Carl at La Jolla Independent last week as well.  I just wasn't sure that I wasn't missing something that would buffer the bolt where it goes through the glass itself.

Do these stop all the movement and everything?

1975 Porsche 914

2 minutes ago, mmichalik said:

Driv3r, I got a bunch of those from Carl at La Jolla Independent last week as well.  I just wasn't sure that I wasn't missing something that would buffer the bolt where it goes through the glass itself.

Do these stop all the movement and everything?

Since the purpose of the seal is to block water from getting in, the fibre washer is your best choice. Problem with rubber or nylon washers are that you need to torque the nut tightly to seal the glass and it might cause a crack in the future under vibration. Fibre washers are also used inside the water taps so they'll suffice.