Repainting amber front signal lights.

Naz

Has anyone had any experience repainting the orange signal lights? I'm considering giving this product a shot.

Tamiya Spray Paint TS73 Clear Orange

I've done the smoked out tail lights in other vehicles but haven't tried my hand at bringing back the orange from a faded out signal light before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it.  The spray came out as dots, not fine nor even enough.  Also, the amber was not as transparent as I had expected.  After experimenting with quite a number of paints, dyes and tints, I settled on Vitrail amber glass paint.  

Good luck with your project.
IMG_2704.JPG.edeeb14f71e403529e1b01bdf93c6191.JPG

That's great info. I'm going to give it a shot on my 2000ti signal lights.

I tried it.  The spray came out as dots, not fine nor even enough.  Also, the amber was not as transparent as I had expected.  After experimenting with quite a number of paints, dyes and tints, I settled on Vitrail amber glass paint.  

Good luck with your project.
IMG_2704.JPG.edeeb14f71e403529e1b01bdf93c6191.JPG

I bought and used this paint today. I painted the inside of one lens and outside of the other to determine which side to paint for the best results. The smoother outside surface proved to give better results so I removed all my work to start fresh later when I'm feeling more patient.

Is this paint resilient to the elements or do I need to paint the inside of the lens to shelter my handy work?

This paint is intended to be for decorative indoor objects.  There was a datasheet on the manufacturer website providing their own UV exposure data for each paint color.  I went to the website again but could not find it.  I do remember that orange was in the middle of the pack and has good UV resistance.  

I believe this paint needs to apply the paint from the inside of the lens to protect it from car washes and other chemical nasties.  I do not have an airbrush system.  So, I used a cotton swab to smear the paint over the prismatic surface of the lens.  Go slow and work on small areas.  The paint is reasonably thick.  But, it will run.

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

This paint is intended to be for decorative indoor objects.  There was a datasheet on the manufacturer website providing their own UV exposure data for each paint color.  I went to the website again but could not find it.  I do remember that orange was in the middle of the pack and has good UV resistance.  

I believe this paint needs to apply the paint from the inside of the lens to protect it from car washes and other chemical nasties.  I do not have an airbrush system.  So, I used a cotton swab to smear the paint over the prismatic surface of the lens.  Go slow and work on small areas.  The paint is reasonably thick.  But, it will run.

I figured as much on having to paint it on the inside. I like the idea of using the airbrush and may just pick one up to have it for other art projects.