Need Some Reference Photos (Rocker Panels)

Hello all. I am in the process of rebuilding the rocker panels. Before I put the outer rocker on I want to fix the two spots on the inner rocker panel that the rust ate away pretty badly. If anyone has or can point me to close up pictures of the locations on the attached photo that would really be helpful.

• The 1st spot is that piece that comes down off the pillar and hangs away from the inner rocker. Mine is missing the bottom inch or so of it. Also curious if the outer rocker gets welded to it? Whats it's purpose?
  • The 2nd spot is the rear section. If anyone has any pictures of the outside layer and the inside layer that would be a good shot. Pretty much all around this area, a little of my wheel well is missing as well.

On a side note it would be cool to have forum discussion setup just for reference photos. Break it up into the major sections of the car or even known rusty sections.

2002 Rocker Panel.jpg

Pic 1 just comes down and welds to the inner rocker panel; the outer goes over it and isn't welded to it. There's is a fine threaded nut underneath it for the seat belt depending on what year you have. If that needs attention you want to take care of it before you weld that flap down

3 hours ago, MitchaPaLoOza88 said:

On a side note it would be cool to have forum discussion setup just for reference photos. Break it up into the major sections of the car or even known rusty sections.

+8000. Best idea i've heard in a very long time. Particularly for a forum that is mainly used as technical reference. Would include a sticky HowTo with tips for taking useful photos (in focus, well lit, framed right, etc.).

23 hours ago, digdoug said:

+8000. Best idea i've heard in a very long time. Particularly for a forum that is mainly used as technical reference. Would include a sticky HowTo with tips for taking useful photos (in focus, well lit, framed right, etc.).

Ya no small task but this forum definitely has the capability. Something similar is already done for the Paint Codes section.

• 6 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, digdoug said:

+1

and it would be REALLY nice if the photos were uploaded to this site as opposed to linked to some cloud photo sharing site which sooner or later is going to go tits up.  nothing is more aggravating than to go to some thread which looks on point only to find missing pictures due to dead links

On 4/18/2017 at 4:31 PM, digdoug said:

yes, it would be nice to have threads base on body measurements, weld points, structure.........more technical reference. Is there any BMW manufacturing data/drawings??

Edited by BMW2002_74