• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Wheel Well Protector Strips

2002#3

Did '74 tii's originally have 2" wide (or so), tapering, grey protector strips glued to and along the base of the wheel wells inside the trunk?

I have seen only a very few '74 tii's these strips, and I do not know if they were original.

Thanks.

Larry

Cincinnati

All 1600-2's and 2002's had these strips of vinyl from the factory.  The glue has dried out over the years, however, and many of these strips have fallen off.  That reminds me, I've got to find the strips for my '76.  The right one fell off in 2011 and I pulled off the left one in 2015 in preparation for the car's repaint.

Amazingly, an exceedingly original 1967 1600-2, currently listed on eBay, retains both strips:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182533241640?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Another good question is: what is the point of the strips?

As items of car interior trim go, they are pretty pointless. 

Uhhh...paint protector?  The right strip on later U.S.-spec cars hides/protects the fuel line.  Here's my '76 naked...

And two of the trim pieces awaiting re-installation.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_7133.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Checked my trunk: the strips are both still there. They must help protect the paint finish if things are sliding around in there.58f98549959d5_2002Tiitrunk.thumb.jpg.71fc43d0faf18c386e7dfdf4029f5f60.jpg

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

Pointless they may be but I added mine back when I refurbished my trunk. 

IMAG1178.thumb.jpg.b4d12a2b564fe004e308465a8aa8a85e.jpg

I just wonder why a more substantial piece of vinyl wasn't used to cover and protect the wheel wells or the back of the bulkhead. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 11 months later...
On 4/21/2017 at 6:06 AM, echappe said:

I have some OEM elephant skin left over and could possibly make some of these if anyone's interested.

Ernest

Reviving this old thread.. i'm missing the strips and would be interested in a pair. Please PM, if still interested in making these..

Thanks,

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

8 hours ago, mvliotta said:

Reviving this old thread.. i'm missing the strips and would be interested in a pair. Please PM, if still interested in making these..

Thanks,

Vince

i can make you some but you should be aware if you are looking for an exact match to the aged original vinyl covering the trunk boards, you're unlikely to ever find any

7 minutes ago, echappe said:

Esty,

I find it unethical that you would jump this thread to hawk your own product.

i'm not not hawking anything....just as you offered to make them...i said that i could as well....anyone can for that matter, they aren't convoluted, fancy stitched, complicated pieces....just strips of material with the ends cut

my main point is it's unlikely unless one takes their original boards to an upholsterer that has a huge vinyl selection that anything, including your "OEM elephant skin" will match...since most people here are picky about color, texture and country of origin, i was just stating a fact.....i have some '"OEM elephant skin" from BMW and 3 sets of original boards...they do not match in color or texture

lighten up....let me know what you offered to sell your strips for and i'll buy a pair for someone that wants them

• Like 1