Belt line corner trim issues..

eurotrash

What are you guys doing about the crap ass design of the new belt line trim corner sections?  Any tips for successfully man-ssaging it tight to the body??

The best I could come up with is letting the long side hang and tighten the corner metal clip, and then try and bring up the long side and pop it on the clips..  but it still pulls away enough to see behind the trim.  pretty lame.  

Its like they didn't engineer in the slope of the body, and/or the metal clips need to be asymmetrical to pull the top in along the bend.. 

17426151_10155173371239568_6531102374597033622_n.jpg

Had the same issue with what looks like the same corner.  I bought 2 pieces of the same corner piece and had the same problem with both.  Careful pressure applied at the corner got it somewhat closer but mine still has a gap.  I was instructed to "massage it" into place by more than a couple people including the vendor I bought it from.  No one presented a good method or any additional details on the massage technique.    

The tooling must be bad, i've had a few all crap, BMW really should try and improve this. That said at least you can still get them.

I'd say be careful hitting them or applying too much pressure, the area is a rust trap at the best of times, whatever you do pump plenty of cavity wax in behind in the seam.......

I had this same problem...

...back in 1997.  In fact, it STILL pops off Jenn's car sometimes.

The metal clips will haul it down- but go gently, as they can distort the lip on the back side.

All of the usual aluminum massaging tips still apply- dead blow hammer, radiused formers, and caution.

And I don't think BMW has made these parts in a couple of decades- they're a 3rd party production.

(I'd love to see someone prove me wrong on this- with pictures!)

t

20 hours ago, Simeon said:

Another reason why I am glad I went with the stick on. Not spendinggood money on trim only to have it fit badly and probably see me damage my paint installing it. 

Sorry, snark hijack over. 

Seeing this allows me to feel a little-less nuts for refurbishing* the used trim I have (*strip, straighten, polish, anodize with bright dip). -KB

yeah I wouldn't bother again, mine was ripped clean off of the car by some crazy old lady reversing into me, she managed to smash the hood, and push the hood back into the doors, so most of mine was replaced then... but I wouldn't go out and buy it now. I have seen the stick on stuff, its really very good, 100% driver + but im not that fussy anymore, hang on that sounds bad, what I mean is its not concourse but then I don't care about that.

Cars are for driving, enjoying and staring at over a beer talking crap with your mates :-)

I too had the same problem.  I ordered each side again from the same vendor and tried those - same thing(he did take them back).  It's frustrating because of how expensive the trim is now and that it comes packaged as a BMW part.

I'm just living with it for now.

• 3 weeks later...