Clutch rattle/tapping

AmazonGreen

Hey Folks;

Getting my '74 02 ready for Mid America and a familiar problem resurfaced. Three years ago had complete clutch job. 2000 miles later loud rattle/tapping in neutral. But clutch engaged just fine. Went back to shop for warranty re-do. That lasted a couple of years. Today same problem after a long drive and things were good and hot. Noise only happens when things are hot. Goes away with just slight pressure on clutch pedal (maybe 1/4 inch depressed). A Google search turned up similar, heat-related problem with other kinds of vehicles. Any thoughts? Can I just live with it, without fear of major breakdown enroute? Thanks. 

In my opinion: It is likely clutch disc related and has springs that are being effected (loose or too tight) by the heat expansion of the clutch pack and therefore rattle and tick. It should not be a real problem or issue, only noisy.  

Suggest to fix you use a quality clutch disc and replace. Any squeal would be bearing related of course.

But what do I know (TM)

faq3.jpg

What you're hearing probably has nothing at all to do with the clutch itself. A BMW technician specializing in 2002s would have probably recognized this as trans bearing noise and refused any warranty on it. Sounds like a worn input shaft bearing on the transmission. This noise is affected by the operation of the clutch as it loads and unloads the input shaft. These can get super crazy noisy, but can continue on for years without a roadside failure. Often misdiagnosed as a release bearing noise by those that have simply heard the term a hundred times at club gatherings. :)

It's an annoyance, but shouldn't scare you unless it gets worse / louder.